• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Speculative Preview Now Available in 18.4x37

Adobe Employee ,
Jun 22, 2021 Jun 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Today we are excited to announce the availability of Speculative Preview in After Effects beta, available in builds 18.4x37 or newer. Download the latest build from Creative Cloud Desktop.

What is Speculative Preview? While AE is idle (e.g., you’ve stopped to admire your beautiful design, checking email, or getting coffee, etc.), the composition that has focus (and any pre-comps in that comp) will begin automatically rendering in the background. You’ll see green cache marks appearing as frames are rendered and you will not lose your place in the preview window. This should allow you to then scrub around the composition with frames already rendered, speeding up your design/preview iteration loop.

You can see Speculative Preview in action in the attached video

Please use this forum post to discuss and provide feedback. 

Thanks!

TOPICS
Feedback , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 12, 2021 Aug 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yesterday's build seemed snappy and faster especially with Big Sur 11.5.2. Being able to change the speculative preview delay to a lower number helped speed up roto brush propogating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 07, 2021 Dec 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

is there a way to disable it other than just setting it to a long duration? I'm typically doing 3D animation or rendering in other windows, suddenly a large portion of RAM and CPU are wearing cement shoes. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can turn it on and off from the Composition Menu -> Preview -> Cache Frames When Idle. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ah perfect, I was looking everywhere but there!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 27, 2022 Mar 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to turn it off entirely? At first I thought that´s a neat feature, but boy is it messing with my patience! When replayblast out of Maya, I obviously do not always close after effects, therefore after 15 seconds AE starts to litter my RAM, so Maya can´t process (f.e. not cached, heavy bifrost sim). Please let the user decide, what they need and what they´d rather like to deactivate.

Or at least let me change the idle delay to 5000 seconds!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 27, 2022 Mar 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

stupid me, just saw the answer 2 posts above...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 16, 2021 Sep 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Speculative Preview is a very nice feature.

I would like to see the ability to "render any given composite in the background in AE", similar to the background rendering feature we had before.

For example, it would be ideal to have a command to render a preview of a selected item in the project panel in the background.

Therefore, this is a workaround.
https://twitter.com/Oddernod/status/1408417953209589762

Currently, this is only available in the active compo.

Also, a scripting API would be much appreciated.

I'm waiting for this feature to be added!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 01, 2023 Mar 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to let you know this was the most annoying thing to figure out how to turn off. I am trying to get into a meeting and my computer is lauching and taking off like a rocket fans running full speed and I didn't even know that aftereffects was doing this in the background. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 01, 2023 Mar 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Toggle off Cache Frames while Idle off in Menubar>Composition>Preview>Cache Frames While Idle. You can also modify the timing of it in Preferences>Previews

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 16, 2023 Oct 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Love this feature, would love if you could add a checkbox to the Cache Frames When Idle preferences to allow it to cache all comps in project in addition to the comp in focus.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 17, 2023 Oct 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Good call.

Personally, I'd prefer it to cache only the precomps in the comp I have open in front of me at any given time, that way it avoids caching comps I'm rarely opening. This would be more like a 'smart cache' feature and a more optimised and efficient use of RAM. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources