Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Roto Brush flickering

Aug 29, 2020 Aug 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is very annoying that the picture flickers every time I paint the mask with the roto brush. After each brush stroke, the picture disappears for a second and appears. Apparently reboots with new data. But when you work with a long segment of video, these blinks are very unnerving and strain your eyes. Smear - blink, smear - blink, corrected smear - blink ... Please fix this blink so that the picture does not disappear, but simply update the roto brush mask.

TOPICS
Bug , Feedback

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 02, 2020 Sep 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good catch.  It occurs when the layer is clipped as a result of zooming, which is almost always the case when using roto brush to define segmentation.  This is a known problem that we're actively working on fixing.  Should be addressed soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 03, 2020 Sep 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fixed in build 17.5 x10.  Please try it and report back if you're still encountering this problem.  Thanks. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 06, 2020 Sep 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello. Still encountering this problem. You are great, and in beta 17.5.0 (10) it got better, but the picture is still blinking. I made a test. If you work in HD, then with each brush stroke, the picture no longer disappears so often. Can blink after 20-40 frames. And if you work in 2K, then the problem remains. Every time at the beginning of a fragment it is not noticeable and does not interfere with working if the fragment is small (2-3 sec). But if the video is long (10-30 seconds), then by the middle of the fragment there is blinking with each brush stroke and the picture disappears for 1-2 seconds. And therefore eyes get tired and working hours are delayed. I am using multiple computers (mac) and the problem is the same on all computers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 17, 2020 Sep 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another good catch!  I can reproduce what you're seeing, although it's intermittent for me.  But you're correct, a flash frame does occur.  It has something to do with adding background/foreground strokes at a non-base frame location after propagating a lengthy clip (around 30 seconds).  We're working on fix.  Thanks for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
May 13, 2021 May 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello..

Was this flickering issue ever fixed in Ae with roto brush masking?

My issue is a roto brush mask on a clip (clip exported out as Quicktime, RGB + Alpha, ProRes 4444) then imported into Pr and size of clip is increased by say 20%.

The flickering is every so slight when exporting out the .mp4 movie from Pr, yet noticeable for OCD editors like me. 😄

Thanks for any insights.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi SundayGladitator,

We fixed the flash frame issue for most cases, except for a few intermittent edge cases that are difficult to reproduce.  The flash frame only occurs while adding foreground/background strokes on non-base frames in the layer panel, meaning you should not be seeing flash frames during propagation or when previewing propagation results.  

Are you seeing a flash frame/flickering when previewing in Ae after using roto brush?  Or do you only see the flickering after exporting a comp through the render queue?  

If issue occurs during preview, then this could a render thread problem.  If issue occurs on output, then this could be a formats problem.  

Please report back with your findings.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks James for the quick response!

The flickering in the roto brush mask is in the rendered Quicktime clip (using RGB + Alpha, ProRes 4444 codec).

I can't find out if this flickering is in the preview within Ae, because I just don't have the horsepower with my dinkmo MacBook Pro to see the preview of this animation in real-time.

The roto brush mask I'm using is also using the refine edge tool, which Ae further interpolates throughout the animation as a roto brush mask.

Outside of posting the actual clip on YouTube on this flickering, this is the best I can verbally describe the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is sounding more like a problem with formats.  Try exporting the same comp without RB applied to any layers, then see if you still get the flickering with the rendered QT clip.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, that's a dealbreaker. I need the roto brush mask in order for it to work in this Pr project I've got going.

Maybe it's a roto brush/refine edge issue or technqiue I'm not doing right there. I'll see if I can jump into another post re the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to be clear, I'm not saying to not use RB in your production.  I'm trying to get your help isolating the cause of the issue you're encountering.  For example, If the issue doesn’t occur when RB is not applied, then we can eliminate RB as the culprit. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
May 14, 2021 May 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Correct. When the RB is not applied, the clip has zero flickering.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 20, 2021 May 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like a RB bug.  I'd like to try and reproduce in-house.   Please DM me if you can provide a sample project and source footage.  Thanks. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 13, 2024 Jan 13, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi James,

It is 2024, it is still happening.

Cheers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 16, 2024 Jan 16, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I 'm not able to reproduce the flash frames with Ae 24.2 beta 74 on macOS 14.2.1 (M1).  
What version of Ae and Rotobrush are you using? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 09, 2024 Apr 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yup 2024, April. 
It is still happening. 

jesst90162058_0-1712667116633.png

jesst90162058_1-1712667169743.png

jesst90162058_2-1712667300752.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Video settings of the video that was imported to AE 

jesst90162058_3-1712667847339.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jesst90162058_0-1712668485719.png

jesst90162058_1-1712668501356.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Composition settings.

jesst90162058_0-1712668568994.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 10, 2024 Apr 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for providing the screen shots. That helps.
Let's see if we can figure out what's causing the issue.
If possible, please post a screen recording of the RB workflow that results in flickering.
If you can provide the source and project, that would assist in our attempt to reproduce the issue in-house at Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources