Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Scripting: masterProperty issue

Explorer ,
Oct 31, 2020 Oct 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Error message:

Unable to execute script at line 20. Function theComp.layer().masterProperty is undefined.

That very same script runs on AE 2020 without any issues.

The code adds a premade comp to a timeline and then uses a csv to bring in some text to a placeholder. The that master property is created by another script, which runs without errors. It uses addToMotionGraphicsTempAs to create a master property for the text.

-Mika

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Nov 02, 2020 Nov 02, 2020

Hi Kuprikki,

Thank you for reporting this bug. Are you experiencing this error with your own script or with a script from someone else? If the script is your own, the workaround at the moment is to use "comp.layer().essentialProperty" instead of "comp.layer().masterProperty" when running a script in the latest Beta versions of After Effects.

Recently, there have been some changes to make the terms & language used in After Effects' UI more equitable. As part of those changes, Master Properties

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 02, 2020 Nov 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kuprikki,

Thank you for reporting this bug. Are you experiencing this error with your own script or with a script from someone else? If the script is your own, the workaround at the moment is to use "comp.layer().essentialProperty" instead of "comp.layer().masterProperty" when running a script in the latest Beta versions of After Effects.

Recently, there have been some changes to make the terms & language used in After Effects' UI more equitable. As part of those changes, Master Properties have been renamed to Essential Properties ( created using the Essential Graphics panel. ) This work is ongoing and the issue you've reported is a case which is not yet automatically referencing the correct scripting method `.essentialProperty` when `.masterProperty` is called. We are looking to get this fixed as soon as possible.

Thank you again for reporting this issue. If you are experiencing this with a script that you are not able to edit, please direct the developer of the script to this post.

- John, After Effects Engineering Team

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 02, 2020 Nov 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi John,

thank you, that did the trick. The script is mine, I did it around a year ago. Made the change, and now it runs as expected.

-Mika aka Kuprikki

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 04, 2020 Nov 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Kuprikki

I'm currently testing a fix for this bug, and am curious if you would be open to sharing your script with me?

Thanks so much,

Dacia

- Dacia Saenz, AE Engineering Team

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dacia, 

I need to translate it a little, might be a bit difficult to keep up with Finnish variables, functions etc. But after that clean up,  why not..

-Mika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You rock, Mika!! Thank you... and just to be clear, I would love a version of your script with the references to "comp.layer().masterProperty" please 🙂 

Cheers,

Dacia

- Dacia Saenz, AE Engineering Team

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 05, 2020 Nov 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dacia,

I have four files for you, how could I get them to you?

-Mika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 06, 2020 Nov 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Seems like you fixed it, I just ran the script with masterProperty without any issues. That was fast. 🙂

-Mika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources