• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Viewer preview clamps to whole pixels when zoomed in and the top or left edge is outside the view

Community Beginner ,
Apr 02, 2021 Apr 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AE Version: 18.2.0 (Build 11)

Reproduction Steps:

- Make a tiny composition (e.g. 16x16).

- Add a source where each pixel is distinct from its neighbours (e.g. random noise).

- Zoom in so that each composition pixel is shown very large.

- Pan the viewer until either the top edge, left edge, or both, are outside the bounds of the viewer.

Expected Result:

Preview continues to pan smoothly.

Actual Result:
Preview moves in a stepped fashion.

Additional Notes:
This issue does not occur on the release version of After Effects that I tested with (18.0.1 Build 1).

Elements that don't exist as part of the composition itself, but are instead overlaid on top (such as bounding boxes, position indicators, shape/mask paths, title/action safe, the box drawn by CC Power Pin, the ground plane and viewcube on CC Particle World, etc) do not move in a stepped fashion.

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 27, 2021 Apr 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey VodBox!

Thanks for the description and the video, it makes it really easy to understand the issue! We'll make sure our team is aware of this, especially since it doesn't happen in the public build (18.0.1)

One follow up question: when you're working in a comp that is a more popular size (try 1920x1080) does the composition pan as expected?

I'm really glad that the preview doesn't step when the whole comp is visible, at least there's that.

Thanks again for the info!

Caroline

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 27, 2021 Apr 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Caroline,

When the size is a more regular size, the issue occurs as well. For the reproduction steps I chose a small comp, since for larger comps there's a limit on how far you can zoom in, so it's much more obvious and easy to demonstrate with smaller compositions, but the step itself isn't required to reproduce the issue per se.

If there's any other info needed, I'm happy to provide it as soon as possible.

Ngā mihi,

Dillon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 28, 2021 Apr 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Awesome, thanks so much! It'd also be helpful if you could provide your system specifications (OS, RAM, CPU, GPU) so that our engineers can try to reproduce this behavior exactly.

I'll go ahead and file the ticket with them!

Caroline

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 23, 2021 May 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ahh damn, I thought I had responded to this. Apparently I had not! Sorry about the massive wait.

RAM: 32GB (16GB x2) DDR4.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Super.

Additionally, a DxDiag report and AEGPUSniffer log are attached.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 26, 2021 Oct 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This bug has appeared to make it into the public build for After Effects 2022 with the exact same behavior as observed in the beta.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 28, 2021 Oct 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You should be able to get back the prior behavior by going to Preferences > Display and turning off Hardware Accelerate Composition, Layer and Footage Panels. We are working on a fix for restoring the old functionality with Hardware Accelerate Panels turned on and that should be in beta soonish. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources