• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers

2023 Rendering to DNxHD

0 Votes
Participant ,
Nov 07, 2022 Nov 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I've been using AE2021 very sucessfully to render DNxHD Quicktimes on a Windows 10 machine.

It plays back on my Windows machine a in Quicktime Player 7 or on Mac without issue.

DNxHD Resolution.png

However, when rendering in AE2023 on the exact same machine using the exact same project, and the same output que (upgraded scene file of course), when playing back on a Mac in QT Player or in the Avid, the movies appear black. When playing the movie back in QTPlayer 7 on my Windows machine they also appear black.

These are the same file rendered in the two versions of AE

2023vs2021.png

To mess with my brain just a little more, when opening the file in VLC, the movie plays back fine.

VLC Playback.png

Rendering the movie to frame sequences works, but that's not really a work around because the DNxHD still comes out black.

Rendering to ProRes 422 works just fine.

I've tried to reset preferences.

I've reset up the "C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\After Effects" (that's a pain)

Any input or recommendations by anyone would be appreciated. Thanks.

Bug Unresolved
TOPICS
Troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
3 Comments
Engaged ,
Nov 15, 2022 Nov 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here. I used Elmedia Player to play DNxHD .mov's generated by previous versions of Ae, but with Ae 23.0. the movies are black in Elmedia Player.

Seems that Ae writes some kind of new dialect that no other app understands (when imported back in Ae, the .movs look fine)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Nov 16, 2022 Nov 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In conversation with another artist friend, I was told that Adobe "did" change something in their render procedure of DNxHD files to accomidate Avids announcement of "no more Quicktime support", but didn't tell anyone what they did or how it may affect end users. Seems that new versions of Avid Composer "may" support the old version, but old versions of Composer don't support the new version's renders.

Adobe, many editors don't upgrade Composer for years, we AE artists need a path backwards to reach these clients that are reticent to change, and working in 2021, while possible, isn't allowing us to use the upgraded software that you develop, and that we pay for.

It's really important to hear from Adobe on this on what we're supposed to do. We can't use 2022 or 2023 because of the black frame issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Nov 17, 2022 Nov 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

My workflow is not very smooth, due to this incompatibilities. I like to work in Ae 22 (but incompatible with precious versions of Avid) and even more in 23 (Finally support for my GPU, and the new track mattes!), but there is no MacOS player available that can play DNxHD rendered with 23. (Time for an Adobe player?)

So I still need the ancient version 21 to get things done.

So I can not review render results! Really disastrous.

Votes

Translate

Translate