• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe After effects is filling my %Appdata% folder with illegal characters and duped folders

Engaged ,
Apr 23, 2023 Apr 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not even sure if I should report this as a bug, or create a discussion. I'm going with bug, because this is clearly not supposed to happen in my operating system and I wanna smack the dev that thought this was a good idea
earlier today, I needed to access my appdata to clear some caches for a clean reinstall of a different program and...

Untitled.png
I found a number of Adobe folders, all for After Effects, with characters that took up less than a pixel, or partial pixels. 

After copying and pasting, I figures out these symbols automatically existed before the cursor, making them impossible to remove if they're the first character in a string. It's absolutely stunning!
It's also absolutely reckless and dangerous activity, for a trusted program to engage in.

The characters are ֑ ֒ ֓ ֔ ֕ ֖ ֠ and ֣  , though they actually change depending on the exitence of spaces, have some glitches when copied, or being the first character in a string. notice how this is multiple in one character, using some copy tricks to get it to register some dual accents: ֒ ֓ 
but if I was to say,   ֔... yes, those two sub-pixel things are the same first character on the list above.

Simply put, they're visually volatile and can potentially break a number of systems, their appearrance changes based on their surroundings, and they cannot be manually typed outside of hebrew, and absolutely SHOULD NOT be used for a hack to enable multiples of the same folder name. Adobe. please teach your devs to just use numbers or nested folders like the rest of us, not obscure hebrew accents to get around alphabetical organization in hidden system files.

Bug Unresolved
TOPICS
Import and export , Scripting , SDK , Troubleshooting , UI and UX , Workflow

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
1 Comment
Engaged ,
Apr 23, 2023 Apr 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

(and before anyone asks, no- I can't fix the typos. It took several tries for the website to allow me to post with these characters, and won't even let me change text elsewhere in the post without telling me to fix the highlighted HTML, despite there being no highlighted HTML. what a mess.)

Votes

Translate

Translate