• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

AE 2023 performance issue

Community Beginner ,
Nov 04, 2022 Nov 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a comp with 51 shape layers & lots of expressions, which makes After Effects lag a lot (as usual), BUT it's worse in Ae2023 than previous versions.
To show the issue, I've made these two GIFs, from Ae2021 and Ae2023, to show how long it takes to just deselect all the layers.
The click is shown by a yellow circle under the mouse cursor at the beginning.
deselect-2021.gifdeselect.gif

The first one is Ae 2021, and the delay between the click and the actual deselection is already quite annoying, I've measured it to be 1.5s (I've run the test several times to get the average time)

The second one is Ae 2023, the delay is 2.5s. I just can't work anymore with After Effects with this lag, it's just a no-go, and I'm going to recommend to everyone to not update if they're going to work with Duik. One just can't work correctly with that.

If it lags so much for simple actions like (de)selection, just imagine how painful it is to precisely adjust any value.

IMHO it is more than urgent that After Effects lags like this are fixed, I don't know of any other software where I experiment this kind of sluggishness, it's not the case in any other compositing, animation, or 3D software I know of.

Computer specs:
- AMD Ryzen 7 2700X Eight-Core, 3.7GHz
- 32 GB RAM
- Nvidia GeForce GTX 2060, Studio Driver 517.40

Bug Needs More Info
TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Nov 29, 2022 Nov 29, 2022

Hi Nico,

Thank you for reporting this issue! I can definitely see the performance regression in the two GIFs you've posted. Would you be able to provide this project to our team so that we can profile what is going on during the delay? Do you also see a similar delay when adjusting values in the Timeline?

Thank you again for reporting this, and for any additional info you can provide,

- John, After Effects Engineering Team 

Status Needs More Info

Votes

Translate

Translate
37 Comments
Explorer ,
Mar 01, 2023 Mar 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes performance in the timeline is better now. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Mar 05, 2023 Mar 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am experiencing this same issue, but only on one machine, however, I don't have the same problem in other software on this box, so it seems to be an AE issue. For me, this occurs with timeline adjustment, so very very unhandy, and I would say the 2.5-second delay is accurate. Often I select another layer, to try and speed it up, but even doing this still has a lag to it. Any suggestions are most welcome. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Mar 05, 2023 Mar 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Updating fixed this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Mar 06, 2023 Mar 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hasn't gotten much better. GUI running at 2 FPS. Sad.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Mar 08, 2023 Mar 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Timeline is much more responsive since last update, but I still have frame drops in the viewport when playing cached preview. After effects just cannot read a simple square moving from left to right in 30 FPS without skiping frames. This is really annoying. Is it a video card issue, maybe...  I have a Nvidia 2080 on Ryzen 9, it should drop frames like that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Edit : I activated Vertical sync in Nvidia Panel because all the animations in AE 2023 (and 2022)  were cut in pieces in horizontal without that. 
Anyway with Vertical sync activated or not I have frame drops, I would say 5% to 10% are skipped in 30fps, creating lags, with Mercury or Cuda. Nvidia Studio drivers up to date.
IS a 5 years old RTX card too old for AE ? I hope not...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi John, 

Problem is coming back again. will try to update now. bit worried if it makes it worse. fingers crossed. will post an update later.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 05, 2023 May 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey guys,

any news on this one?
Actually I´ve updated to the newest version, hoping for performance fixes, but its still painful to work with. Will this be fixed? I really cant move a single keyframe without lag on a heavy maschine. Working on our projects is really painfull and our team is waisting a lot of time waiting for AE to respond when a keyframe ist moved.

Our team noticed that more or less every second maschine is having trouble with laggy performance since version 2023.

Really hope this will be fixed asap 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 05, 2023 May 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adrian, I can't speak to the playback and frame drop issues mentioned in this thread, but updating to the latest 2023 helped my situation with moving keyframes and the delays associated with that process. Good Luck!

- MK

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 19, 2023 Oct 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Updating the graphics driver worked for me too. Please pin this as one solution!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Oct 20, 2023 Oct 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After Effects 24.0.1 is dragging and lagging when scrolling in the timeline, or moving keys. Same issues as before are reappearing in this update. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Nov 26, 2023 Nov 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I recommend learning DaVinci Resolve/Fusion. Bit of a learning curve but SO much faster. Possibly not all the features of AE yet, but they'll come and I haven't encountered anything I miss yet. I've already cancelled my personal CC subscription.

Votes

Translate

Translate