Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

AE Textpanel eyedropper tool not sampling colors from composition

Community Beginner ,
Nov 19, 2022 Nov 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi folks,

I am running AE 2023 (23.0.0) on an M1 Macstudio Ultra, so native Silicon AE build. Since the last update (or thereabouts) of the 2022 version I noticed some weird text(panel) issues. First I wasn't able to select/highlight my entire textline, it would always skip the last letter, now with moving on to 2023 that seems fixed. However another issue popped up: Whenever I try to, let's say, sample a color from a background to apply to a text, it just won't do it. I notice the cursor glitch back and forth to the eyedropper icon and arrow.

When I click in the UI, it will sample and apply that color, but not from anywhere on the canvas or composition area. I have called a few collegues, one has the same machine as me and he reported the same issue, another running Windows and the same ver. of AE has no problems.

Is this a Silicon bug? Or might there be something else?

Bug Needs More Info
TOPICS
Performance , Troubleshooting , UI and UX

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
6 Comments
Community Beginner ,
Nov 24, 2022 Nov 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In addition to this: I am somewhat able to sample colors and apply it to text, from the composition by pressing enter while having the colorpicker selected (takes several tries tho and 9/10 i have to reselect te colorpicker) instead of just clicking the mousebutton. Called another collegue today, who's running AE 23.0.0 on Win11, and he has the same issue, so it doesn't seem to be a Mac Silicon only problem.

Any feedback, suggestion or help for that matter will be very much appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Dec 12, 2022 Dec 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @MrBenjah,

Thank you for reporting this issue. Have you allowed After Effects to have access to the screen recording in the System Preferences? The color picker functionality requires this permission:

SecurityPrivacy-ScreenRecording.png

Please try enabling this for After Effects 2023 and let us know if you see any change in behavior.

Thanks for reporting this issue and for any further information you can provide, 

- John, After Effects Engineering Team 

 

Status Needs More Info

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Dec 14, 2022 Dec 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey John, thanks for the reply. Yes, I allowed AE SR access in the sys prefs way before this problem popped up. I even deactivated some 3rd party plugins such as Motion 4, which needs the same sys pref checkbox set in order to sample colors, to see of there was some sort of weird collision going on, but nope, the problem still remains unsolved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Dec 20, 2022 Dec 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @MrBenjah,

Thank you for the follow-up on the Screen Recording preference. You mentioned having Motion 4 installed; does the bug still occur if you don't have that extension open or active?

Additionally, is this happening for a brand-new Text layer or only for specific Text layers? I ask because a Text Animator for Color or a Fill effect would override the color set in the Character panel. In your video, I see that the swatch in the Character panel is updating with the color under the mouse in the Composition panel but then is not applied to the Text layer, which is the same behavior I would expect if an Animator or effect were controlling the Text color. A full-screen recording or a shared project would be helpful to clear this up as well.

Cheers,

- John, After Effects Engineering Team 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Dec 21, 2022 Dec 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @JohnColombo 

Thanks again for your reply.

To answer your questions:

- Bug still occurs when Motion 4 is inactive and even uninstalled.
- It happens on a fresh textlayer without any animators applied

Attached two screenrecordings:

One is a 'project' from scratch, creating a new text layer and a shapelayer to sample from. As shown, it's not updating while clicking the pink(ish) shapelayer. Second is an example with the same sitiuation, but then hovering over the shapelayer and hitting enter, then it samples and updates the fontcolor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Mar 01, 2023 Mar 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I got the bug too!

So annoying!

Os Ventura / Latest AE version.

When I colorpick from a solid or shapelayer, it selects the object I'm colorpicking from. 

I can only color pick when I first open the color window and click like a madman!

Please fix this as I use it 500x a day :((

Votes

Translate

Translate