• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

all but one text character gets selected with my cursor

Engaged ,
Sep 28, 2022 Sep 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When using my cursor to highlight text, the last character will always be omitted from the selection.
Bug Fixed
TOPICS
UI and UX

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Oct 19, 2022 Oct 19, 2022

Hi all,

This issue with selecting the last character of a Text layer has been fixed in After Effects 2023 (version 23.0). If you continue to experience this issue in After Effects 23.0 or higher, please let us know right away.

Thanks again for reporting this issue,

- John, After Effects Engineering Team 

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate
31 Comments
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

problem with selecting all text. You don't want to select the first or last letter.

I also noticed a problem with the operation of the red giant particular. It's terribly slow to load and slow to run.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Justin and Oskar -- thanks for posting. We are aware of this issue and are working on a resolution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Text tool won't select last or first letter when dragging cursor across several characters L to R or R to L. This bug has been prevalent in several recent AE versions. Please fix it.
AE ver 22.2.1
macOS 11.6.5 Big Sur

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I use the text tool to highlight a word, the highlight does not extend to the end of the entire word. It stops highlighting at the letter before the last letter. It doesn't matter what direction I start from. However, if i highlight from left to right, then frantically move my mouse around, the highlight does extend. I will add a video to show what's happening. It happens on multiple machines.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Greg, thank you for reporting this! We are aware of the issue and investigating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a temporary fix, make sure text box is selected for editing... instead of dragging along the text...If you double click a word, it selects the word...If you triple click a word, it will select the entire line...If you rapidly click 5 times it will select every single line.

But still, they need to fix this as it's super annoying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Appreciate the text select tip Michael, I've started training to develop new muscle memory for this technique! Maybe in time it can replace the drag highlight method. 🙂

It's a surprising lapse in very basic functionality.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also thank michael 🙂 . Nevertheless, I hope that the AE team will fix this bug as soon as possible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for reporting this, and for those of you on the beta program, there is a fix for this now available in Beta 22.4 build 42.

The problem was not specific to the first or last character of the story - those were just the most obvious cases - as it would "stick" in other places as well but it was possible to wiggle out of those and get it unstuck.

I tested the fix with all the cases I could think of but of course that might not cover your own experience - I would appreciate knowing of any continuing failures.

Douglas Waterfall
After Effects Engineering

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello and thanks for the update. I can confirm the beta seems to have resolved the issue on my end. I hope this fix can get pushed out to the active version soon. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"After Effects needs to be rewritten from the ground up or I’m not using this fudging program anymore" - Wren

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issues has sadly not been solve yet, and im using version 22.5.0 build 53

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Steen Waldorf stated. The bug is still there in 22.5
I am on a MBP M1 max on the latest Monterey

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

Am I the only one to think that it is delirious that the "solution" to a bug of a professional software, is... to use the "beta" version...???

We're just talking about selecting text, guys...!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Fabrice Yes the version he is referring to has been in Beta for ages! We have jobs to do and don't trust a beta version.

They should really fix their release schedule so the smaller bug fixes get pushed out sooner while they are testing the bigger changes like the properties panel etc..

Working with text is a core element of the process and this issue trips me up everyday!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good Lord, this is annoying.

I'm glad I'm not the only one, seems like this should be fixable. C'mon man.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"If you do experience any issues with After Effects (Beta), please report them on the Beta forums that are accessible via "Report a bug"
So is that Adobe's new policy? Make its customers the beta testers of the versions in development of its software...!?!
I'm really looking forward to a new company breaking Adobe's monopoly!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great, the Beta is not available in ireland. So all your customer who pay €69 a month for your faulty software are expected to just wait till you fix one of the most used tools in after effects while still trying to work. It's a disgrace adobe, no wonder you stocks are falling through the floor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I downloaded the latest beta and this issue still persists. This basically inhibits me from doing any work efficiently being that I work with a lot of text on a daily basis.

Please fix this very BASIC and core issue. The stability and updates for AE and Premiere have been extremely disappointing. It feels like you people just stopped caring about your user base.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why not release a patch fix for current version instead of having us download a beta which most certainly have other bugs?

I think it's kind of ridiculous to have to go for a beta version or revert to a previous version every time there is a bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When is this fix going to be released? I'm working with text titles today and the inability to select an entire line of text or even place the cursor at the end of a line is totally frustrating, not to mention time-wasting.

It's mind-boggling that an update for such basic functionality has still not been released! Where are Adobe's priorities? Seems not with their paying customers...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why wasn't this fix part of 22.6?! You've already fixed it one time before for crying out loud. Now you're saying it has to wait til version 23?!! Move this up the line cause It's been far too long adobe!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I saw the new update for After Effects (22.6) come through this morning...Absolutely baffles me that this doesn't contain a fix for this...Seriously unbelievable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oddly enough, I've found that if I click+drag fast enough it'll usually highlight that last character (in either direction).
The limits are that you must be at least 1-2 characters away from the end for this fast drag highlight to work. For instance, if I have the word "Adobe" I could click+fast drag on either side of the "o" to get either "Ado" or "ode", but it won't work if I only try to select "e" or "A". Of course, clicking then shift+click anywhere still works to highlight any section.
That said, this seems pretty basic functionality, so I'm not mad, just disappointed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How can you make the same mistake few times ?

You should integrate it in your process.

Votes

Translate

Translate