• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Bug Report: Renders to TIFF with Straight Alpha at 16bpc are duplicated and offset

Explorer ,
Sep 28, 2022 Sep 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I make rendering in TIFF-sequence and PSD-sequence , an image is broken.

GPU : RTX2060S (Driver v471.11)
Ae : v22.0.1

Ae condition

[project-setting]
Depth: 16bits per channel

[output-module-setting]
Depth: Milions of colors+
Color: Straight(unmatted)

Bug Investigating
TOPICS
Workflow

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , May 03, 2023 May 03, 2023

Hi @mikec92163573,

Are you rendering at 16bpc? We do have a known issue under investigation where rendering TIFFs with Straight Alpha at 16bpc shows offsetting as you've shown. Changing the color depth to 8bpc or 32bpc should prevent the issue, but I know sometimes that isn't an option.

Thanks for any further info you can offer,

- John, After Effects Engineering Team

Votes

Translate

Translate
13 Comments
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI Harada,

Thank you for reporting this issue. We are able to reproduce it as well and our team will be investigating. Our apologies for the disruption while this breakage is addressed.

Thanks again,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI John and After Effects Engineering Team,

Thank you for your prompt reply.

I appreciate your making time for me.
You made me who I am.

Best Regards.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am experiencing the exact same problem in the current version of AE (22.5.0). TIFF files with Straight alpha include misplaced layers and phantom elements from previous project files that aren't open. Premultiplied alpha renders fine. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
May 03, 2023 May 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is Adobe's goal to break every single piece of software they make?

Today, I needed to do somethinbg I do often.  Take an image with a mask and export as a tiff with a straight alpha.  When I do this, the image created is not the same as what I have set up in my comp.  Here is a simple example

alpha premultiplied (correct looking image, but I need a straight alpha

premult.png

straight alpha

st.png

 WTF adobe?!?  this software has been around forevever and this is one of it's most basic feature.  

Can you please just make your software work correctly?  This is supposed to be professional software, and this is far from professional functionality.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think I have enough information to reproduce this properly, but I tried making a simple comp with a couple of shapes, then exported one with premultiplied alpha and one with straight alpha, and they both came out looking the same. Admittedly I'm using AE 23.3, which may not be the same version you're using. 

Can you try upgrading to the latest AE release? Can you share a project with the Render Queue setup to output the same way you are in your images? 

Status Needs More Info

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is exactly what I do (using v22.6.0). I select Composition->save frame as->file..

Then select tiff / RGB + Alpha / straight (unmatted)

I can upgrade, but I don't want to. I am sure if I move the project to 2023, a million other bugs will pop up (that's the Adobe way) and then I wont be able to get my project back to 2022.  Honestly I wish you would let me downgrade to version 2017, the last version I remember being not so buggy (still bugs mind you, just not as many)

This version  has been out since 2021, and this feature I have used often, and now it does not work.  Why is Adobe breaking old versions that used to work?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @mikec92163573,

Are you rendering at 16bpc? We do have a known issue under investigation where rendering TIFFs with Straight Alpha at 16bpc shows offsetting as you've shown. Changing the color depth to 8bpc or 32bpc should prevent the issue, but I know sometimes that isn't an option.

Thanks for any further info you can offer,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You win the prize John, changing from 16bit to 8 bit solved the problem.

Thank you so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm glad that worked! Since we are tracking this issue, I'll merge this thread with the existing one so that all affected parties are notified when a fix is implemented.

Cheers,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Jul 31, 2023 Jul 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@JohnColombo I'm noticing when I render stuff out at 16bit with straight alpha (lossless+alpha or 4444+alpha) and I import the file and turn off the alpha (ignore settings in interpret footage). I'm not seeing the excess colors around the edges (specially on glows) like a straight alpha should give you!   I need this when I want to give matte/fill versions to clients. It elimnates the ugly dirty black haze with glows! Is this also the same issue ?? tested it on 2022 and there the straight alpha still works!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Jul 31, 2023 Jul 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sigh!  since WHEN did they add 'RGB STRAIGHT' to the viewport channels?

I can see the straight alpha now like I but in order versions I could render it like that 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Aug 02, 2023 Aug 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm noticing when I render stuff out at 16bit with straight alpha (lossless+alpha or 4444+alpha) and I import the file and turn off the alpha (ignore settings in interpret footage). I'm not seeing the excess colors around the edges (specially on glows) like a straight alpha should give you! 

By @Multipasser 

Would you be able to provide a project and screenshots demonstrating what you're describing here? It's possible that it's related to the same issue but it's difficult for us to determine without assets.

quotesince WHEN did they add 'RGB STRAIGHT' to the viewport channels?

These have been available as far as back I can remember, at least since CS6 and probably in earlier versions.

Cheers,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Aug 02, 2023 Aug 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

MMm. My memory could be failing. 

Older versions I could import a movie with straight alpha, turn off the alpha and the viewport showed me the straight alpha.

But when I render out to prores (without alpha) and turn on straight alpha in render settings, i'm getting the results I want. 

So it's good for now.

Votes

Translate

Translate