Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Color desaturation and hue shift with After Effects Exports

New Here ,
May 25, 2023 May 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello! 

I'm working on a mograph project and I'm running into an issue with my exports not matching what I am seeing in AE. My color workspace is set to sRGB IEC61966-2.1 and on export AE I make sure the color space is the same. 

I've tried the QT-Gamma correction LUT avenue but the colors are still not accurate. Also when I try to export into a QT file (Animation Codec) and then encode the file to a .mp4 in Media Encoder the colors get desaturated. When I import the .mp4s into AE the colors match but when viewing in QT or outside of AE the colors are washed and for some comps, the colors are shifted. When doing research I saw that this might be an issue with QT and when you upload to a platform the colors should then be corrected but that's not the case, the colors still are off.

Another issue I noticed is that when I have AE and Illustrator files open side by side the colors are not even matching there and I double-check that the color spaces are both sRGB IEC61966-2.1 and that Illustrator is in RGB and not CYMK mode. In both of the programs, the hex codes are the same.

I understand exporting straight into H.264 will cause some changes in color, but what else can I do, and/or am missing if they get washed with the .mov-->.mp4 encoding workaround? 

I saw one thing on the forms about hardware encoding vs software, I tried that and still got off colors

Also, why is it that some comps are closer to the correct colors and others that have a different orientation are hue shifted when all the export settings are the same?

HELP!!!

Bug Unresolved
TOPICS
Import and export , Troubleshooting , Workflow

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
2 Comments
LEGEND ,
May 26, 2023 May 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let's keep it brief: None of what you wrote indicates that you are using actual color management anywhere. Not in AE, not in AI, not on your monitor. Of course inevitably colors will be unpredictable if your monitor isn't even calibrated/ set to a specific profile and that profile being used inside the apps for previews/ proofing. That and of course every friggin' video player on the planet has its own mind about how to honor color profiles (or mostly not) and mess with things like Gamma, so it basically means nothing to view clips outside managed environments. So for what it's worth, educate yourself about that CM stuff and then act accordingly. Calibrate your monitor, set up the CM correctly, use proofing and composition previews with the monitor profile.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 26, 2023 May 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm using an Apple XDR color preset on a Mac Book Pro, is that not a good profile to use?

I fixed the color proofing issue in AI, but other than making sure that there is no simulated color profile in AE and making sure the color space is matching in AE and AI what else can I do? 

You seem to be very knowledgeable even for looking like a boiled potato, so I would love to hear!!
Thanks, Mylenium Potato!!

Also, make sure you respond accordingly, seems like you've never been checked.

Votes

Translate

Translate