• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Error when adding new shape with pen tool {unexpected match name searched for in group} (29 :: 0)

Community Beginner ,
Jan 19, 2024 Jan 19, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My entire project file is corrupted and I get an error after opening it. The files on the left Project window appear for a microsecond, and then the error appears, and everything disappears to a default empty project screen. I have no backups of this particular project file, so all of my work is gone until this is fixed.

Also, I created the project with AE v24 so it won't let me use old versions.

Here is the error: 

After Effects error: internal verification failure, sorry! {unexpected match name searched for in group} (29 :: 0)

This happened while working on my project and adding a new shape using the pen tool. It was the first point in the new shape being placed.

This project is 10 min+ of animations and is an incredible amount of work, so any alternative solutions would be helpful.

Thank you.

Bug Needs More Info
TOPICS
Crash , Troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Jan 19, 2024 Jan 19, 2024

Can you share the project file with us? No guarentee we can recover it but we can give it a go.

Status Needs More Info

Votes

Translate

Translate
4 Comments
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also I forgot to mention:

It also crashes in safe mode. And I have tried purging caches / memory, and all that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you share the project file with us? No guarentee we can recover it but we can give it a go.

Status Needs More Info

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jan 22, 2024 Jan 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately I am unable to save the file currently, but I was able to luckily find an old save file and managed to save most of the work.

However, if I replicate the same exact work to the old save file, it will get the error as soon as I get to the same point and add that shape layer I need. And it will again, brick that safe file.

As a temporary fix, I'm simply not adding anymore shape layers and finding alternative ways to show the info I need.

Just some additional info: it seems to be related to new shape layers being created rather than the Pen tool creating shape layers. As it can also be thrown if I copy and paste new shape layers. Also, the project gets to around ~167 shape layers before it started to happen.

I'm not sure what I did to get this specific project into this state. I have much longer video projects with many more layers, which I edit using the same methods I use in the bugged project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jan 22, 2024 Jan 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Also, because the error suggests string matching or something in layers, maybe check for errors being thrown around unicode characters being in layer names. Some layers have unicode characters in them like 

Votes

Translate

Translate