Position sepperating dimentions dragging bug

Participant ,
Oct 27, 2022 Oct 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi currently when you have 2 layers,
 - 1 layer with Sepperate position dimentions
 - 1 layer without Sepperate position dimentions 
Now select both layers & drag the position (with the numbers). It doesnt update both of them if you select the one with sepperate dimentions. The other way around works.

See video for a detailed example.

Much love,

Dierenwinkel

Bug Investigating
TOPICS
Workflow

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Nov 29, 2022 Nov 29, 2022

Hi @Dierenwinkel Doc,

Thank you for reporting this issue. I do agree with @Rick Gerard that is working as designed; the separated Position properties are "children" of the combined Position property under the hood, and so changes flow "down" when the Position is changed, but not back up when the separated X/Y/Z are changed.

That said, I think this would be better handled as a bug rather than as a feature request, so I'll be opening a ticket on our side to address this behavior in a future rele

Status Investigating

Votes

Translate

Translate
3 Comments
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Forgot to add when you do it the other way around it also creates 2 keyframes even if you only moved 1 position (example Just the Y position). 

M1 Max, AE 23.0.0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The behavior you see makes sense because Position is a three-value (x, y, z) array until you separate dimensions. Separated dimensions, rotation, and opacity are not arrays. You need to use an expression if you want a multi-value property to drive one of the values of a single-value property.  On the other hand, once separated, X, Y, and Z position values are still Position properties, so they should drive the corresponding value in the Position array. 

You could make it a feature request. I don't see it as a bug. 

I rarely separate dimensions for Position. It is far easier and more efficient to control the motion path of a layer using the pen tool in the Composition Panel and the timing with a Speed Graph than trying to make complex movements by animating the X, Y, and Z position values.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Nov 29, 2022 Nov 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi @Dierenwinkel Doc,

Thank you for reporting this issue. I do agree with @Rick Gerard that is working as designed; the separated Position properties are "children" of the combined Position property under the hood, and so changes flow "down" when the Position is changed, but not back up when the separated X/Y/Z are changed.

That said, I think this would be better handled as a bug rather than as a feature request, so I'll be opening a ticket on our side to address this behavior in a future release.

Thanks again,

- John, After Effects Engineering Team 

Status Investigating

Votes

Translate

Translate