• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

AE glitches out of composition when I click on effect in effects panel

Community Beginner ,
Feb 09, 2024 Feb 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I apply an effect to a layer and then go to the effects panel to modify parameters of said effect, AE glitches to a different layer as soon as I touch the effect and often even jumps out of the composition to a layer in another composition if I have multiple compositions in the project. I always have to watch carefully if the selected layer is the one showing in the effects panel. The only way I can manage to modify the effects is if I lock the effects panel to the selected layer. As soon as I unlock the effects panel again it glitches to another layer and composition. It's extremely time consuming. Please help. 

1. AE version 24.1.0

2. Windows 11 Pro 23H2

3. Click on effect in effects panel

4. Expect to be able to modify parameter of effect, instead it glitches to a different effect on a different layer

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
UI and UX , Workflow

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Mar 27, 2024 Mar 27, 2024

Hi all,

A fix for this issue has been released with After Effects 24.3. You should no longer see After Effects switch comps when clicking in the Effect Controls panel. If you do continue to experience this issue in After Effects 24.3 or later, please let us know.

Thanks again for your reports,

- John, After Effects Engineering Team 

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate
28 Comments
Community Beginner ,
Mar 28, 2023 Mar 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FYI I always keep the Effect Controls panel open next to the Project panel. While a layer is selected, if I switch to another Comp and I click in the Effect Controls panel (either in the empty space or on an effect being displayed) the Timeline goes back to the previous Comp (with the selected Layer).

I'm categorizing it as a bug because I don't think this is a behaviour the dev team was aiming for.

Suggested solution : when switching to another Comp, the Effect Controls should either display nothing (no layer selected) or remember which layer of the new Comp had been selected previously, and switch to it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 22, 2023 Oct 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please, call de devs to correct this bug hahahha
this is annoying xD

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 29, 2023 Nov 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

bumped in the same bug, it makes impossible to work. Trying to contact Adobe for it

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 01, 2023 Dec 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Since a few days i have a very unbearable problem, when I click on the parameters of an effect applied to a precomposition in the effects panel, instead of modifying the effect normally, the click takes me directly inside the precomposition. I cleared the cache, did the updates and reinstalled After Effects but nothing worked. Do you have any idea what's going on? Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 26, 2023 Dec 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm experiencing the same too, must be a bug that needs to be patched.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 28, 2023 Dec 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Effect Controls Panel:   when i click on the effects control panel (anywhere in the panel) it jumps into another composition (usually the top comp on my timeline).   This first occurred in AE2024 i upgraded to AE24.1.0 (build 78) and still have the issue.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Dec 31, 2023 Dec 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This occured for me after using a locked composition window so I could see two compositions at once, I then unlocked the window and now I can't touch anything in the Effects Control window without it jumping to other compositions.
The temporary solution was easy though, I just made a new project and imported the old one in and the bug seems to have resolved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 16, 2024 Jan 16, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! I have the same issue. AE allways jumps to the precomp, when I use the effect panel. What's wrong? To create a new Project is no solution for me, because I have to work on diffrent projects every day. Is there a bug fix?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 18, 2024 Jan 18, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had problems with this to. If you lock the effects control panel while it's on the layer you want to work on, it seems to not switch. Still anoying though, hope that tip at least helps a bit! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Feb 02, 2024 Feb 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've seen a similar report. Please share the following details.

• What are your system specifications (CPU, GPU, RAM, OS version)?
  • Try running After Effects in Safe Mode with the third-party plug-ins disabled and see if the issue persists.
  • A screen recording of the issue would help.

We're happy to help.

Note: Moving this thread from Bugs to Discussions for troubleshooting.

Thanks,

Nishu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! Thanks. 

I attached a screen recording of the issue. Note how the panel doesn't update to correct layer and glitches out when touching effects. I tried to run in safe mode and this issue is not present - seems to work fine.

specs:

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 8-Core Processor 3.80 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090
RAM 64,0 GB

Windows 11 Pro 23H2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Feb 13, 2024 Feb 13, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for sharing the details and screen recording. If After Effects works fine in Safe Mode, it could be preferences that are causing the issue. Resetting them should help.

Let us know the results.

Thanks,

Nishu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Feb 13, 2024 Feb 13, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@nishu_kush There is also a bug in large projects when you have layers selected in inactive compositions. To fix it, simply deselect layers in inactive compositions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Feb 14, 2024 Feb 14, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Resetting preferences unfortunately changes nothing. But seems like Airweb_AE under here might be on to something. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Feb 14, 2024 Feb 14, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think this might be it @Airweb_AE ! I tried to go into each precomp and deselect the layers and then I went back to the main comp and I can now finally click on the effects panel without glitching out. It seems like I could even have layers in multiple precomps selected at the same time, which causes AE to rush through all those layers' effects panels every time I click on the effects panel of a layer in the main comp. 

Great to know how to avoid it, still a pain to have to remember to deselect all layers all the time when going back and forth. So definitely a bug @nishu_kush , but seems like it has been reported already?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Feb 16, 2024 Feb 16, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here, it's extremely annoying behaviour.

I have not figured out yet what's the cause nor how to solve it. It seems to occur very randomly.

For now it seemed to help to close all compositions and open the one you want to work on again. But i am not sure if this is a random solution either. On other occasions it helped to close and reopen the app, but not this time.

If anyone gets some logic behind this, please tell.  Else i hope for a bugfix frome Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Feb 19, 2024 Feb 19, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for reporting the issue and providing your input.

We've filed a bug on this issue for further investigation. We'll update this thread when there's an update.

Best,

Nishu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Feb 22, 2024 Feb 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your report, @SimonSchu
I can repro this in-house and have written up a bug. I'll update the channel when I have any new info. 

Thanks, 

- Dacia Saenz, AE Engineering Team
Status Investigating

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Mar 07, 2024 Mar 07, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have that same bug. Such annoying issue. Please FIX!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Mar 11, 2024 Mar 11, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue. 
Please Adobe, fix AE, the app it's not working properly since a very long time, and it's begun very frustrating has to deal with this nonsenses bugs. It's a pay app (and not cheap), so do us a favor and fix it. As a customer, i really need a faster response to this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Mar 11, 2024 Mar 11, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

Thank you again for reporting this issue. A fix is now available for testing in the latest Beta build of After Effects (24.4.0.8 or later). If you can, please install the Beta and let us know if you continue to experience the switching behavior with the Effect Controls.

Status Started

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Mar 27, 2024 Mar 27, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

A fix for this issue has been released with After Effects 24.3. You should no longer see After Effects switch comps when clicking in the Effect Controls panel. If you do continue to experience this issue in After Effects 24.3 or later, please let us know.

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Mar 27, 2024 Mar 27, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@JohnColombo  There's always a little bug when clicking on a menu with AE (Beta) 24.4.0x28

Unfortunately, I can't attach a video, the Drag and Drop File button isn't available.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Mar 28, 2024 Mar 28, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you able to share a link to the video hosted elsewhere, @Airweb_AE? If so, please report the issue with the screen recording in a new Bug thread.

Cheers,

Votes

Translate

Translate