• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers

RAM Preview not real time on MacBook Pro M1 Max

60 Votes
Community Beginner ,
Sep 28, 2022 Sep 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm currently having to use After Effects 2021 instead of 2022 because 2022 will not RAM preview in real time. I'm running a brand spankin' new 16" MacBook Pro M1 Max with 64GB Unified Memory & 4TB of space. The system is screaming fast so this AE issue is evidently a bug. Please fix as soon as possible Adobe because AE 2022 looks amazing and I'm dying to dive in.
Bug Needs More Info
TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Oct 20, 2022 Oct 20, 2022

Hi all,

Thank you for reporting these issues. Based on your feedback, the new release of After Effects 2023 (version 23.0) includes major improvements to memory handling on M1/M2 Macs and other systems with integrated GPUs. If you were experiencing low memory warnings or shortened previews in AE 22.5 or 22.6, please update to the latest version.

If you continue to see low memory warnings in AE 23.0, make sure to update any third-party plug-ins to their latest version. We are aware of several R

Status Needs More Info

Votes

Translate

Translate
54 Comments
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Renders times are super fast on new M1, but previewing is taking longer and maxing out at around 15-20s. Even in 22.4. Hopefully this is fixed soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Echoing the issue many are experiencing here. Brand new M1 MacBook Pro running 22.4 on Monterey 12.4. Making changes to a credit scroll I'm working on -- text only, zero effects and plug-ins used, takes longer to preview than it did on my old Windows machine. Completely unacceptable; even changing text from bold to italic gives me the beachball and even then takes about a minute and a half to show up in my preview window.

A fix is long overdue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Brand new m1 max mac studio. After Effects has been seriously disappointing. Both in performance and rendering times.

I dont understand how this machine is somehow slower then my six year old macbook.

Disappointed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just obtained an M1 Ultra Mac Studio. Preview is not even marginally faster than my 2019 Intel Macbook Pro. I'm running After Effects 22.6.0 build 23 natively on M1, and After Effects 18.4.1 build 4 on Intel.

I will be uploading a simultaneous side-by-side recording of these devices to YouTube shortly and publishing to Reddit / Twitter / Apple / Adobe / and whatever other relevant channels come to mind.

Adobe has grossly misrepresented the performance gains of M1-native After Effects. The lack of transparency is disturbing, bordering on deceptive. When can we expect genuine, broad-reaching performance increases on M1 as opposed to cherry-picked numbers under artificially fabricated scenarios? Adobe has no answers.

UPDATE: Recording of side-by-side performance can be seen here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnn0DcosO4w

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not a new issue, and not unique to the M1. The problem has been around since 2016. I have it on my 2017 iMac pro as well. See this thread:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/after-effects-discussions/ram-preview-not-in-real-time/td-p/8353465.

The fact that After Effects will not playback cached frames in anything close to realtime is my number one issue with the program. I hoped you all would finally fix it when rewriting stuff for Apple Silicon. Apparently not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue. I have a maxed out M1 Max Macbook Pro and I cant even preview a 5second section of animation in AE. Ive just updated it to latest update and it seems even worse!!!
Can Adobe just stop adding pointless new features and get the basics working first!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John, Happy to help you with this and supply any information needed. I have tried several versions of AE with the same file and still not getting previews that run at all. I can export the file in less 2 mins yet cannot get a preview at quarter size to work?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We were able to get our After Effects running properly by running WITHOUT Rosetta, and adjusting some of our playback settings. I hope these help some people out because these issues were really slowing us down and I was tempted to downgrade back to my old computer.

In Preferences / Previews - We changed Viewer Quality to Faster

In Audio Hardware, we changed the Buffer Size to 128 samples.

We also lowered the RAM reserved for other applications to the lowest allowed (3GB)

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, same problem here: brand new M1 running AE (without Rosetta). I can't load the preview at all. The footage color is Rec 709 Gamma 2.4 and this color space doesn't exist in the list in AE. What's the solution here? If i set the color space to "none", the problem doesn't go away

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Echoing the same sentiments around render preview issues, but also – and even worse – are failures to send to media encoder, encoding render times are long, ME render failures, AE crashes, infinity beach ball and generally poor processing. To get projects to completely render I must restart the machine and in some cases I have had to resort to splicing together multiple renders into one final comp just to get the job done.

Essentially at work stoppage.

MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2021)
Apple M1 Max, 32 GB
Monterey 12.5

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a tip from a long time AE user. I have never found rendering via Media Encoder reliable. Best to render ProRes (or other non-temporarly compressed codec) directly from AE, then compress that to H264 (or other destination format) via Media Encoder. You get better file size and quality for your final H264.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With ram preview fully green. My M1 Max still struggles to play back my ram preview at 30fps.... why? Its ram previewed... it should be playing back at realtime.
It hovers around 24-28fps seems to only be happening when i have motion blur enabled.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! I'm also having problems with broken RAM Previews with the latest version Apple Silicon version of AE 22.5.0 running on a M1 Max, Macbook Pro, 64GB, 4TB Monterey 12.5.

At some point, around 20 GB into my disk cache, it refuses to re-cache, replace or play any of the old blue rendered parts. creating lots of gaps and shrinking the green parts more and more each time I want to preview until I'm left with just a few frames. A quick fix is to Clear my Disk cache (set to 200gb), but this will only fix the problem temporarily, especially when using a ProRes clip in my timeline. 20 gb is easily filled in minutes.

Hope this will be fixed soon, bc I like certain performance improvements already. But like everybody is really asking, it really feels like a tedious slow process, just at some point have the guts to re-engineer the * program from scratch :). Personally would rather loose a few favourite old plug-ins and scripts in favour of a real rock solid competitor to other vfx motion design tools that fits the need of modern artists and programmers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After Effects 22.6.0 MacBook Pro M1 16GB ram - I can barely use RAM preview at all and rendering is super slow in AE and Media Encoder. This needs to be fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here, I can not even play a 4k video without any edits in it. Tried all the versions so far, 22.6 22.5 22.4 22.3 - the app is not usable, it makes you go crazy even with the small edits ... this needs to be fixed (using an MBP M1 16GB ram)

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chiming in. Trying to do work on this is impossible. Won’t render more than a few frames at a time. Renders taking forever and are often colour inaccurate (although it seems the latest 22.6 has fixed some of that). I switched back to my 2018 intel mbp 13” and it runs better than my M1 Max 32GB MBP. Very frustrating trying to hit deadlines. Spoke with Adobe support last night and they couldn’t figure it out and said a more “senior agent” will be in touch with me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yeah same here, best and quickest way I found to fix this is to RESTART AE...
I know it's annoying.
btw shortcut to restart latest project is ⌘⌥⇧P

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Echoing others. Renders a few frames and then comes up with low memory warning.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue, working on an M1 Macbook, with AE 22.6 and Monterey, with or without Rosetta, it gives me the same issue and does not allow me to preview more than 5 frames at a time. It only works for a few minutes after a clean reboot and then changes and only allows you to preview a few frames, which is completely unworkable. I wish Adobe would fix all their issues and improve their performance on all their products before releasing new tools and features.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

Thank you all for your feedback on these playback performance issues. As you may have seen, the latest update to After Effects 2022 ( 22.3 ) brings native support for Apple silicon to the release version. While we are not considering this playback performance issue fixed yet, but we do need some clarity around the exact conditions that can cause the playback performance to degrade, given that it appears to have originally been reported against After Effects running under Rosetta. With that in mind, please do the following:

If you have been running into slow previews while using After Effects 22.2.1 or earlier on Apple silicon under Rosetta, please update to 22.3 and see if the playback issues persist when you run After Effects natively. Let us know with a comment whether you continue to see any playback issues when running After Effects natively or under Rosetta.

If you have been using the Beta version for Apple silicon support and are still seeing playback performance issues in the Beta, please use the "Provide feedback" button in the upper-right of the After Effects (Beta) interface to post the issue with your system details to our Beta forums. Ideally, please keep future feedback or bugs from the Beta version in the Beta forums rather than here on UserVoice.

While this issue appears to be easy for several of you to reproduce, there are many variables that can affect playback performance ( project settings, footage codec, display settings, etc ) and we have yet to find which one will allow our team to reproduce this same issue so that we can diagnose the cause and find a fix. Thank you all again for reporting this issue, and for your patience as we work to find a solution.

Thanks again,

- John, After Effects Engineering Team

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have now installed version 18.4.6 of After Effects and I am not having the RAM issue anymore on my M1 Macbook. Sadly I won't have the multi-frame rendering but at least I can enjoy my M1. Rule of thumb with most Adobe products, be at least one version behind and you will have less issues and irritations.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 14, 2022 Oct 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, still same issues on my side even after the update (AE 22.6 running now). I keep on getting Low memory warning even tho i have 13Giga allowed only to AE, trying to preview a 20sec video at a quarter resolution, with all caches emptied. This isn't workable at all and it's been going on since months now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Oct 20, 2022 Oct 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

Thank you for reporting these issues. Based on your feedback, the new release of After Effects 2023 (version 23.0) includes major improvements to memory handling on M1/M2 Macs and other systems with integrated GPUs. If you were experiencing low memory warnings or shortened previews in AE 22.5 or 22.6, please update to the latest version.

If you continue to see low memory warnings in AE 23.0, make sure to update any third-party plug-ins to their latest version. We are aware of several Red Giant plug-ins in the VFX Suite and Magic Bullet Suites that have recently been updated to fix memory leaks.

As this thread was originally created around a lack of real-time preview on M1 Macs, please report any low-memory warnings in a new thread while we keep this one open for discussion/feedback around preview performance. If possible, please include a project and/or project report showing what effects are being used.

If you are running into slow previews while using After Effects on M1 devices under Rosetta, please update to 23.0 and see if the playback issues persist when you run After Effects natively. Let us know with a comment whether you continue to see any playback issues when running After Effects natively or under Rosetta.

There are many variables that can affect performance ( project settings, footage codec, display settings, installed typefaces, etc ) and we are actively investigating these possibilities so that we can diagnose the cause and find a fix. Thank you all again for reporting this issue, and for your patience as we work to find a solution.

- John, After Effects Engineering Team 

Status Needs More Info

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks @JohnColombo! I'll get updated to 2023 and see how it goes.  Thank you for the response - you guys are doing a great job!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2023 is working for me so far! thanks for the update

Votes

Translate

Translate