• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Text labeling does not update in layer

Engaged ,
Sep 22, 2023 Sep 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've noticed that when I duplicate a text layer and make a change to the type, it does not update in the layer's naming convention labeling. It keeps the naming from it's last state. This is pretty annoying as the layer is labeled as something the text is not. 

Bug Needs More Info
TOPICS
UI and UX

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Sep 29, 2023 Sep 29, 2023

@JBrown321 This might be due to a subtlety in the naming of Text layers. When a Text layer is first created, its layer name is what you typed into the Text layer and will continue to match any changes to the Text layer. However, if the Text layer name itself is changed in the Timeline (not changing the Text in the Composition panel), then the layer name becomes "disconnected" from the Text layer contents and no longer remains in sync with any following changes. This is useful if you want to labe

Votes

Translate

Translate

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Sep 22, 2023 Sep 22, 2023

I'm not able to reproduce this. Can you put step by step instructions on what you're doing, or make a video so we can see what you're experiencing? 

Status Needs More Info

Votes

Translate

Translate
4 Comments
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 22, 2023 Sep 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not able to reproduce this. Can you put step by step instructions on what you're doing, or make a video so we can see what you're experiencing? 

Status Needs More Info

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Sep 29, 2023 Sep 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not happening when I make a new project and for many, but for some that are reopened or maybe certain fonts I'm not sure, the text layer labeling itself does not update to what text you type. Hard to pinpoint what's causing it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Sep 29, 2023 Sep 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@JBrown321 This might be due to a subtlety in the naming of Text layers. When a Text layer is first created, its layer name is what you typed into the Text layer and will continue to match any changes to the Text layer. However, if the Text layer name itself is changed in the Timeline (not changing the Text in the Composition panel), then the layer name becomes "disconnected" from the Text layer contents and no longer remains in sync with any following changes. This is useful if you want to label a Text layer what it is for e.g. "First Last Name", rather than what it contains. If you duplicate the Text layer in this disconnected state, the duplicate will also be disconnected. 

To "reconnect" the layer name and Text contents, clear the Text layer's name in the Timeline (rename it to nothing) and it will be replaced (and remain in sync) with the current context of the Text layer.

Cheers,

- John, After Effects Engineering Team 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Oct 03, 2023 Oct 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

ah that makes sense. I do find myself renaming the layer itself at times, so that must have broken it at times. Thanks for clarifying that and how to get it reconnected again. 

Votes

Translate

Translate