• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

2021 (18.2.1 )won't import large .mxf files

Explorer ,
Jul 16, 2021 Jul 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do a lot of work taking excerpts from full length shows to make promos and other things. AE 2020 (17.7) has no problems importing long (15 - 30 GB) XDCAM .mxf directly or as a part of a dynamic link sequence from Premiere Pro. AE 2021 (18.2.1) simply will not. 2021 will also not open projects created in 2020 that contain large .mxf files. Both my Premeire and AE are the most recent versions, I had to reinstall 2020s to figure this out. I've got 100GB of RAM assigned to Adobe apps, so I doubt that's an issue.

"Render and Replace" of the large .mxf with shorter clips in Premiere 2021 allows me to use dynamic linking as expected. I guess I found a workaround, but has anyone else experienced this? Why has this suddenly occurred with the new versions?

Thanks!

TOPICS
Dynamic link , Error or problem , Import and export , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 21, 2021 Jul 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same issues. Larger mxf files not importing but I am not able to make shorter versions. Anyone have a fix?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 21, 2021 Jul 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Well, if you are linking to an AE 2021 comp through Premiere 2021, one workaround is to "Render and Replace" the large .mxf with shorter clips in Premiere 2021 which allows you to use dynamic linking as expected.

If you want to directly import large .mxf files into AE 2021- apparently you can't. I least I haven't been able to. I was not able to find a workaround in AE 2021.

What I did in order to be able to link was to save my AE project as a CC 16.x file and open it in AE 2020. .mxf import and linking then worked as expected.

If your workflow is like mine, which involves roughing sequences in Premiere and then sending linked comps to AE, it gets a little more complicated if you have projects currently in the works. After saving my AE 2021 project as a CC 16.x file and then converting it to AE 2020, I deleted both AE 2021 and Premiere 2021 so I could continuing linking files with large .mxf clips.

In order to reestablish linking with my current project, I had to roll back the Premiere project from 2021 to 2021, which is not doable from inside the software. If you need to do this here's how:

https://wikis.utexas.edu/display/comm/Adobe+Premiere+Pro+CC+-+How+to+Revert+Project+Version+to+Use+i...

So essentially, you need to go back to AE 2020 (v. 17.7) until this bug is fixed. If you're just importing directly into AE that's all you need to do. In that case you can leave AE 2021 co-installed and continue to upgrade it until the bug is quashed. Just make sure you open projects with large .mxf's with AE 2020 until it is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines