3D shape maximum bounds?

Explorer ,
Feb 23, 2022 Feb 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a weird problem with some 3D shapes I'm trying to draw.

The background to the project is it's a comp generated from the Google Earth Studio JSX export, so I run the script and it creates a comp with null layers corresponding to tracking points I set up in Google Earth Studio. A camera is also created, matching the Google earth camera, so these nulls appear to track over the Google Earth map animation in the background.

To make to orientation and position of objects a little more sensible, I parented the camera and the nulls to one of the nulls and positioned that at 0,0,0 and normalised it's orientation.

My problem comes when trying to draw in 3D space (a shape as 3D layer), as I approach the edge of the comp I can't place new beziers right up to the edge of the comp. At a certain point (about 10% in from the sides) the beziers will not draw and if I drag a bezier handle past this point it simply snaps to the pivot point of the shape.

Is there some kind of maximum bounds in 3D space that is causing this to happen?

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 23, 2022 Feb 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a stripped back verison of the file. It contains the parent null and the camera, no footage. As a 3D shape layer, I can only draw on about 60% of the comp area.

2D shape works fine, but I need this as a 3D shape so it scales correctly as I zoom in.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 24, 2022 Apr 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, did you ever work out a fix for this? I've not got the same issue but am experiencing some issues with what feels like some z-depth max bounds as well.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, annoying as hell. I think I ended up drawing as a path over a frame in Photoshop, pasting it in to AE, turning it to 3D and rescaling it to fit. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

crazy to have to do a workaround like that!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines