• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

3D Tracking Issues in After Effects/ Tracking points dont show up

New Here ,
Jan 30, 2022 Jan 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have issues with 3D Tracking in After Effects too, so I wanted to ask for help. 

I want to edit a self-filmed video and track it so that I can add text layers all over the clip and pin them to the walls and the ground. 

I'm not sure if I'm doing it wrong, the clip is not usable or AE is broken, so I hope you can help me. I tried analyzing it in different settings, but in not a single combination the tracking points even show up. (I tried 2D also as you can see in the screenshot) 

So the main problem is basically not, that I cannot select my tracking points, its that they don't even show up.

I posted an image of the AE-window below and an download link for the footage i filmed. 

I hope you can help me!

https://my.hidrive.com/lnk/1NvnI4EZ

Screenshot 2022-01-30 141923.png

TOPICS
Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, to be honest that doesn't look like a shot that would produce a successful 3D track. If at all, I woulkd imagine it would not be very stable depite being a tripod shot. As far as the algorithms are concerened, that's all just a high frequency noise pattrn of nearly similar colors. The old rule applies: 50% of the success of VFX is in prepping the shot. A few tennisballs on sticks as markers or a parked car or two certainly would have helped. Outside that the shot is also way too long. What do you even need more than a minute for in a nodal pan? Start by trimming the footage to what you actually will only need.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The reason I need this footage in its length is that I want it to be an intro for an online class. Some words should pop up to show which topics are included in this class. 

I unterstand your point that the 3D track won't work really well, but the fact that literally nothing happens, even when increasing the track point size, is just confusing. I mean, I'm okay with it, if it does'nt work really well, but something should happen, right? Maybe you can try tracking this footage by yourself and we can see what I did wrong. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, this will never work as a one-pass. The shot simply isn't set up correctly in the first place. Individual segments can be tracked reasonably, but not the shot as a whole. If at all you need to split it up in significant segments and then work with the individual comps or stitch the cameras together using the scene alignment options and scripts.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 31, 2022 Jan 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The proper workflow for that shot is to decide precisely where you want each layer pinned to the walls and ground. Then the shot needs to be broken up, and camera tracking is run on each section. Some may need to overlap. 

You'll have to create a garbage overlay for the sky at the first part of the shot to Camera Tracker does not try and track the sky. When the reflections cover the windows you'll need to also cover them up. I took a stab at your footage and the initial comp looks like this. I always use solids, establish an origin and ground plane, apply grids and use overlays to check that the solids track properly. Once you have the surfaces identified you can start arranging your Text or other graphics in 3D space. Here's the project file and a screenshot.

RickGerard_0-1643655161256.png

Sorry, I don't have time to explain every step, but this might get you started. There is no way at all to do what you are describing with one camera track. I have done similar projects with as many as 30 different camera tracks in a single 30-second shot. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines