• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

a line to reveal shape

Community Beginner ,
Dec 21, 2022 Dec 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I'm relatively new to After Effects. I'm trying to make animation similar to this one here in this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJRw0CKoxqQ

I've tried to trim the path of the heart and then rotate the line but I wasn't able to get them synchronized.

I've tried morphing the a line (rectangle) to heart and didn't work. I tried fiddling with vegas effect and also didn't work for me. Please could someone show me how or guide me to what to search for exactly

TOPICS
How to , Preview

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 22, 2022 Dec 22, 2022

I would use two paths and the Create Nulls From Paths script. Follow these steps and you'll be done in about 5 minutes.

1. Draw the heart with round caps on the stroke.
  2. Add Trim paths to the heart path and set up the reveal.
  3. Draw the V shape with the middle point at the heart's center.
  4. Open the Create Nulls From paths script, select the Heart Path and choose Trace Path from the options.
  5. Use Create Nulls From paths again on the V shape but choose Points Follow Nulls from the options.
  6. Shift Parent

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Dec 21, 2022 Dec 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm afraid based on your generic and vague description nobody can tell you much. What does "wasn't able to get them synchronized" even mean? You have to show us what you actually have with proper screenshots and a better explanation of what you want to do.

Mylenium 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 22, 2022 Dec 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for you answer. I'm sorry I wasn't able to explain clearly what I want

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's something about this animation that suggests to me it's not be done using trim paths, but actually may have been done by using a Radial Wipe effect and layer styles.  Whether that's the technique used, I can reproduce it that way:

helped.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I appreciate your effort and time 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would use two paths and the Create Nulls From Paths script. Follow these steps and you'll be done in about 5 minutes.

1. Draw the heart with round caps on the stroke.
  2. Add Trim paths to the heart path and set up the reveal.
  3. Draw the V shape with the middle point at the heart's center.
  4. Open the Create Nulls From paths script, select the Heart Path and choose Trace Path from the options.
  5. Use Create Nulls From paths again on the V shape but choose Points Follow Nulls from the options.
  6. Shift Parent one of the end nulls from the V shape to the Trace Paths null
  7. Fine-tune the position of the other end of the V and set the path to Round Cap and Round Join
  8. Turn off Loop and adjust the Trace Path Effects Controls and adjust the position of the ending keyframe

There you go. The heart reveal has been recreated using only one shape layer, two paths, and one of the most useful scripts included with AE.

RickGerard_0-1671711698563.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't tell you how grateful I'm. Thanks for the detailed expelnation and for the file. Have a great day

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @Rick Gerard 

I am trying to create this too as am an avid learner. I find this very interesting. I asked myself If I could answer this question! The answer is NO! so I am learning from your answer!  But no way I can match the two nuls as you do, My tracing null and points follow nuls are oceans apart! how can you syncronize these two?  I mean how did you math their anchor points?  Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OH MY GAWWD!! I understood what you mean by point 8. I can create exactly as you do! I am so happy! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Rick Gerard  one question. What do you mean by turn off the loop? 😢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The Trace Path null has a Checkbox Control that makes the null continuously loop around the path. Just turn that off. Check the project file. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines