• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

A little help on developing CEP extensions?

New Here ,
Dec 11, 2022 Dec 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey guys, so before continuing, I just want to say I've scoured the web and havent been able to find any info to help with my predicament. Ive been scripting in AE for some time and never had any real issues I couldnt solve by checking the forums or documentation...

Im totally flummoxed. Im just trying to get my feet wet with developing an extension for AE. Ive downloaded several 'sample' plugins from adobe and other tutorials, but basically although I can get the extension to show up as a menu item in AE, Ive had no luck actually getting these to open as a panel. I select the extenion and nothing happens...

Ive tried all the suggestions on line:

- Updating the manifest for the correct AE/CEP version

- Enabling PlayerDebugMode in preferences

- Double checking permisions etc.

Still nothing happens. And this is with several different template extensions.

I even tried to reverse engineer the Datamosh extension, by just changing a line of text here, or editing a logo file just to see if my changes were taking effect. However whenever i make ANY change, the extension stops running exactly like the templates.

This leads me to believe that theres some step im missing with signing/authentiaction but isnt that what the pref file addition is supposed to be for?

Really all im looking for is a starting point so i can actually dive into the more complex areas of extension design.

Is there something Im missing?

Im on an M1 Macbook Pro running AE 2022 and 2023

Any insight from someone who develps extensions for AE in 2022 would be most helpful (a lot of the tutorials are a couple years old, which leads me to believe something has happened since then )

TOPICS
Error or problem , Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 12, 2022 Dec 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This sounds like you didn't enable player debug mode (or didn't do it for the right CEP version).

Best install the aescripts ZXP installer

https://aescripts.com/learn/zxp-installer/

and in its settings, enable debugging for all CEP versions listed.

enable_extension_debugging_step_1.png

 

enable_extension_debugging_step_2.png

 

Mathias Möhl - Developer of tools like BeatEdit and Automation Blocks for Premiere Pro and After Effects

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 12, 2022 Dec 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Mathias sounds correct, but you could also share your non-working code (like a minimum version of it) and see if someone else can recreate the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines