Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adjustement Layer Set Matte Mask showing black

New Here ,
Aug 30, 2021 Aug 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 

I have a problem applying a Set Matte effect on an adjustement layer so it hide a part of that adjustement layer.

Here is my setup:

What I want
I would like the blur, on multiples car plates, to be hidden when the person goes infront.

What I have

I have an adjustement layer, where I drew a recangle mask, then applied a blur effect. It's to blur a car plate.
Then I have a Solid Layer on top (tried with a shape layer too) where I draw a mask. This mask is the person going infront of the car plate.

I applied a set Matte effect on the adjustement layer then in the effects controls, in "Take Matte From Layer" I selected my Solid Layer and "Masks". and Invert Matte.
I end up with something almost working but instead of hidding the adjustement layer it display black.
As shown below:

adjLayerSetMatte.PNGadjLayerSetMatte2.PNG
Thanks in advance if anyone find a solution.

TOPICS
Error or problem , FAQ , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 30, 2021 Aug 30, 2021

The workflow is a little wonky. Rotomask for the person walking in front of the plate should be a Track Matte for the adjustment layer set to Alpha Inverted. The Adjustment layer should not have Set matte applied. Gaussian blur should be using the mask as compositing options. In fact, the adjustment layer is not needed at all.

The other workflow, the one that I would use, would be to duplicate the footage, use Rotobrush to isolate only the part of the woman that moves in front of the plate on

Votes

Translate

Translate
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What about just creating and combining 2 masks on the adjustment layer? You could use Subtract mode and control both masks as you want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The workflow is a little wonky. Rotomask for the person walking in front of the plate should be a Track Matte for the adjustment layer set to Alpha Inverted. The Adjustment layer should not have Set matte applied. Gaussian blur should be using the mask as compositing options. In fact, the adjustment layer is not needed at all.

The other workflow, the one that I would use, would be to duplicate the footage, use Rotobrush to isolate only the part of the woman that moves in front of the plate on the top copy, then apply Gaussian Blur to the original footage and add a mask to cover the plate and then add the mask to the Gaussian Blur compositing options. Only 2 layers are required.

You could even just edit the mask used for Gaussian blur on the original footage if masking the woman isn't critical. The professional way to do the project is Rotobrush on a top copy and a mask for the plate used to composite Gaussian Blur.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 01, 2021 Sep 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you very much!
This is exactly what I needed. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines