• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adjusting the speed of an animation?

Explorer ,
Feb 18, 2023 Feb 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am working on a progress bar that needs to be over days. Suggestions? Thanks!

TOPICS
Expressions

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you explain a little more about what you're needing?  The simplest way to do a progress bar is to animate a shape layer moving from left to right and use another, non-animated shape as it's alpha track matte.  

But you've tagged this as an expression question and mentioned days, so maybe if you sketch out some storyboards and post here, we might be able to get a better idea what you're after.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for you reply! I'm working on a countdown clock over 60 days so longer than typical progress bars. (It needs to be in a bar format and not pages flipping on a calendar.) I'm not an AE expert so wondering if there is a math formula that can calculate the speed at which the shape layer fills the nonaminated bar to match 60 days. (The bar would be no more than 600 pixels long) Make sense? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How long will the 60 days last in the actual comp (I'm really hoping you're not trying to render out a 60 day video 😉)?  If it's just one bar for 60 days, would it not just require a start position and end position keyframe? Or is it that the bar will grow and shrink each day?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We want the bar to slow fill over 60 days. Maybe AE can't do this and it needs CSS/Javascript?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

*Slowly fill

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah yes, in that case you do want to do this in Jasvascript.  Obviously not the right forum, but you can get the current date, the start date and end date as unix milliseconds, then use that calculate the current date as a percentage of the difference, which can then be applied to the width of a bar.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had a feeling. Thanks SO much for taking the time to weigh in!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I feel like stretching my coding legs, I'm having a play in Javscript now, I'll DM you shortly

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Only if it's fun for you! Don't go out of your way. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even under best conditions, a 60 day video would render for several days to create it if you assume multiple times the speed of the realtime playback. And it's not even possible to create sich a clip, let alone handle the quadrizillion frames and the data of the files. That would be bigger than even a movie production. And for what? A stonkin' 600 px progress bar that wouldn't even move by a single full pixel every hour? What would any of that be good for? At best you would produce an image sequence where the image updates every hour or even less by means of a JavaScript in the browser or an entirely native solution based on web techniques, but clearly, none of that exactly requires AE. I think you're really looking on the completely wrong end.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines