Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe After Effects 2022 Preview Keeps freezing then stops responding

New Here ,
Jan 21, 2022 Jan 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone, 

I am facing some issues with After Effects 2022.

I am running Windows 11 on a Dell Inspiron 15 5510, Intel Core i7-11370H at 3.30GHz, 16GB RAM, 512GB NVME SSD, Iris Xe Graphics.

Every time I open the app, it runs fine, I get 2 mins of proper functioning, then, preview freezes, and then the app stops responding.

I tried giving it maximum RAM, it has 13GB for adobe apps. The same problem persists, I have even tried turning off hardware acceleraion and using Mercury Only without GPU.

Any help in this matter would be highly appreciated.

TOPICS
Crash , Error or problem , Freeze or hang , Performance , Preview , Resources , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 22, 2022 Jan 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check your GPU driver and be sure it's updated to the latest version

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 22, 2022 Jan 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the quick response, I just tried updating GPU driver and the issue was not fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 04, 2022 Feb 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same Problem - Alienware R12- i9 - GPU 3070 - 64GB ram -SSD disk. After Effects stops working after a few minutes of using it. Preview won't play. Tried a bunch of settings. The program is just buggy. Disspoainted and frustrated. We're paying money for this.
Can't even do work on it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 16, 2022 Feb 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue. Adobe Please Respond!!! 

Running HP Spectre, 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-1165G7 @ 2.80GHz 2.70 GHz, Iris Xe, 64bit, 16GB

I've tried all the suggestions, nothing works... still just a blank composite preview and after a few minutes the app stopo responding. I've event tried installing older versions of After Effects.

This is impacting workflow and paychecks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 17, 2022 Feb 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

Really sorry for the issue. Please share the following details so that we can troubleshoot the issue properly.

• Your system specifications (including the make and model of the GPU and version of its driver).
  • Details on your project (type of media, effects used).
  • Are there any third-party plug-ins installed?
  • What's the exact version of After Effects.

Few steps you can try:

1. To start, try resetting the preferences of After Effects.
  2. Disable Hardware Accelerated Composition, Layer, and Footage Panels in After Effects Preferences > Display.
  3. If it's happening in a particular project, try importing the project into a new blank project and test.
  4. Update the GPU (dedicated and onboard) drivers to the latest. For the Intel GPU driver, do not rely on Windows to update them. I'd suggest downloading the driver from Intel website and installing it manually.

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks,

Nishu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 14, 2022 May 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having this same problem on my new laptop. No issues with same projects on my old desktop pc, though its performance is generally much worse. My projects includes several images, .wav audio, a script to dynamically update text. No video sources. I can preview my compo once or twice before the preview area stops updating. Otherwise, afx continues working normally. My preview has sound, I can click on everything I'd normally be able to, I can open up my various sources, but the graphics in preview area remain frozen. I disabled Hardware Accelerated Composition, Layer, and Footage Panels in After Effects, but it didn't help. I was experiencing problems with rendering my project to .mp4 in Media Encoder. Turning off hardware-accelerated rendering seemed to fix the problem in ME.

My Specs:

Microsoft Windows 11 Home
10.0.22000 Build 22000

Intel i5-1135G7

16g ram

"GPU" - Intel Iris Xe Graphics (1.0 Gb ram)
Driver 27.20.100.9749

After Effects 22.4.0, build 56

Media Encoder 22.4, build 53

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 22, 2022 May 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

UPDATE - FIXED ( I think )

Read this: https://community.intel.com/t5/Graphics/Adobe-Digital-Editions-problem-using-Iris-graphics/m-p/13637...

Intel is aware of this issue. Updating my Intel graphics driver to version 30.xxx from whatever version came installed on my laptop (27.xxx I think) seems to have fixed the issue. I'll amend this post if AfterFX starts acting up again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 15, 2023 Jan 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

not fixed ! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 25, 2023 Jul 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,

Same issue !
Every time I open the app, it runs fine, I get 2 mins of proper functioning, then, preview freezes, but the application continues to work contrary to the preview.

I alredy do : 

1. Resetting the preferences

2. Disable Hardware Accelerated Composition, Layer, and Footage Panels in After Effects Preferences > Display.

3. Not working

My Specs:

Apple M2 Max

MacOS Ventura V13.4.1

Ram 32 GB

After effects V.23.5

After effects beta V.24

Thanks,

Alex

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 10, 2023 Oct 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue on Mac Studio M1 with 64 GB Ram. I was getting memory errors AE so I just updated to latest Mac OS Sonoma 14.0 and updated to CC24, thinking oh good they must have fixed some bugs with all this new software. WRONG. Still getting the same problems as before plus my preview is freezing, already crashed about 5 times since I started using this a few hours ago. So disappointing. Please advise. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 11, 2023 Oct 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry to hear about this. Could you share screenshots of any error messages you see? Please let us know if you're using any third-party plugins and if you see this issue with a specific project. This will help us better understand the problem. 

Thanks,

Ishan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 21, 2023 Oct 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have similar issues with my Intel Mac, with 64GB RAM, i9.

I have a very simple project, after 3 or 5 minutes I open the project my whole Mac freezes, and I need to force my computer to shut down. 

I use the latest AE version, 2024

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines