• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

AE 2022 terrible on Mac Big Sur?

Community Beginner ,
Mar 22, 2022 Mar 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ever since I updated to the latest 2022 version AE is practically unusable on my Mac.  Super slow, lagging, sluggish performance.  Crashes when trying to import PSD as comp.  Just terrible.  This is on a newer Mac pro laptop with tons of free SSD HD space, 32GB ram, AMD Radeon Pro video card w/ 8GB, 8-core i9.  Mac OS Big Sur 11.6.4.  Meets or exceeds all Adobe's AE system requirements, shouldn't be having these probs.  Luckily I still have 2021 installed and have no problems in that version.

Anybody else having issues with 2022 version on Mac?

TOPICS
Crash , Error or problem , Freeze or hang

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 22, 2022 Mar 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi bbardens,

Sorry for your issue.

Could you share more details on exactly what happens? Do you see it happening in a particular project or all of them? Also, are you using any third-party plug-ins?

Please try the basic troubleshooting and see if it brings any change.

1. Clear media cache: https://community.adobe.com/t5/after-effects-discussions/faq-how-to-clean-delete-or-trash-media-cach...
  2. Reset the preferences: https://community.adobe.com/t5/after-effects-discussions/faq-how-to-reset-trash-preferences-in-after...

Let us know.

Thanks,

Nishu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 03, 2022 Jun 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YES!

After Effects 22 unusable Big Sur 11.6.5 - I cant preview anything 😞 it is impossible to work. I tried everything from cashe clear, to rigging the set up to give all coimputing power to AE - changing coposition, someoene somewhere mentioned it might be caused by wrong audio hardwere chpoice... so even though that didnt seem to make sense to me i followed the advice.

Nothing works, deleting AE and installing again without saving set up changes (out of the box set up) didnt help 😞 I thought i was alone with this. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 20, 2022 Jul 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@bbardens  and Ani@NDN you are not alone. I have a similarly spec’t computer as @bbardens  but with 16g ram running OS 11.6.7

In my humble opinion, this is an issue which Adobe should address either by changing the stated minimum requirements for v22, or by providing a usable version for intel Macs. I believe their continued support for v15 is a tacit admission v22 has issues. My most recent crash happened yesterday, both when attempting to export 4k footage via Premiere Pro and AME.

Needless to say, I lost a lot of time attempting what was once a simple task.

I was on chat and phone with the techs for 5 hours last week. I was finally told “ to check with Apple” . They claimed no prior awareness of the issue. A cursory search proves otherwise, not to mention this forum, which predates my initial contact.

We may have an ill-placed expectation that one could count on the company releasing software they rent to their consumers to ensure it is optimized for the platforms it is intended to be used on; especially when its own technical specifications state as much. 

The tech when so far as to suggest that it is “normal” for Media Encoder to use nearly 1000% CPU (screenshots attached) and then crashing my machine. He also advised I upgrade to OS12 since this is the only way to upgrade the graphics drivers on Macs.  

Unfortunately, upgrading is not a realistic option. Apple follows a similar trend. They release half done software that is full of bloat and other graphically intensive features. These features slow down performance and ensure lack of compatibility with 3rd party plugins (it's not like we creatives need those anyway).

Big Sur took a year after its release to fully support most 3rd party plugins. So I’ll go out on a limb and say it safe to assume OS 12 will not be an ideal experience.

In the meantime, we’re left using v15 for as long as they support it. Consequently, I was not given a set date for this either when I asked.

In my opinion, this situation strikes me as the latest in the culmination of planned obsolescence meets “you will own nothing and be happy”. Once they cease support for v15, provided they do not fix v22 then sorry take it up with Tim Cook - it’s going to be 2023 soon, so we’ll have to rent a new laptop to rent Adobe v23: Why? Because it’s a new year and I support the current thing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 22, 2022 Dec 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same issue! It has been truly miserable, and actually cost me a job. After updating my computer, I can't export anything out of AE. Doesn't matter what codec I use, nothing works. It all comes out black. The worst part is that you can't go backwards, so now I am stuck paying for a product (i got a yearly lisence) I can't even use! Photoshop is also miserable to use now, I can't use the type tool & constantly crashing. 

I just hate that they do this to us creatives. They sell us this idea that they're a tool for artists, and then constantly leave us in situations like this. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 20, 2023 May 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi! Could I ask if it's gotten any better since you posted? I'm about to upgrade to Big Sur but will wait if AE still has big issues with it? Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines