• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

AE CC 2020 Can't Double Click Text in Timeline to Edit or Highlight in Comp Window [macOS]

Community Beginner ,
Dec 06, 2019 Dec 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm running AE 2020 on Mac Mojave 10.14.3. When I double click on a text layer in my timeline AE does not highlight the text in the comp window to make it editable.  Any time I attempt to double click a text layer to start editing it I get the Mac system error sound. It's a minor problem but it just throws off the pace of my whole workflow.  BONUS ISSUE: Im also having to click twice in my comp window to start the creation of a shape layer, text layer or even when creating a mask. I feel like these two issues are rooted in the same thing.

Title edited by Mod

TOPICS
Error or problem , Performance , Preview , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you sure you are using the Selection Tool? This behavior occurs when you are trying to use the Hand Tool instead of the Selection Tool

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yup! I am using the Selection Tool. In all my years of working with AE I've never encountered this issue...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 08, 2019 Dec 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried to remove the preferences? Before launching After Effects, hold Control/Command+Alt+Shift. A dilaog box asks you to remove the preferences file. Click OK and check if you have solved the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 13, 2020 Jan 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately that did not solved the issue.  To elborate... I have a dual monitor setup and my composition window is on the extended monitor. So when I move my mouse over to it to click within the window I have to click once to "select" the composition window, then click again to actual start working--typing, creating a shape layer, making a mask etc.--within the viewer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 23, 2020 Jun 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also having this issue. Same system, issue started today… making a 1min amend into a… I don't even know yet!
Can't select text by clicking in text box, or on the text layer.  Text highlights then exits immediately. 

Deleted cache x
Changed cache drives x
Reset prefs x
Changed render engine x

Updated PP and AE to most recent x

Used updated PP and AE x

Noted that the ram preview is suddenly constantly flashing. CLUE.

I'm stuck now.  I can't edit text, so in the meantime I suggest using Cavalry and exporting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 27, 2019 Dec 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

We're sorry for the delay in response. Did you reset preferences as suggested by @Jose_Panadero? Did it help?

Looking forward to the response.

Thanks,

Shivangi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 13, 2020 Jan 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately that did not solved the issue.  To elborate... I have a dual monitor setup and my composition window is on the extended monitor. So when I move my mouse over to it to click within the window I have to click once to "select" the composition window, then click again to actual start working--typing, creating a shape layer, making a mask etc.--within the viewer. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 15, 2020 Apr 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue now. Was working fine last week. Think ever since the last update i did this is now happening. I'm on a PC running AE 2020 (build 17.0.6).
Did you ever get a solution to this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 09, 2020 Oct 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone been able to resolve this? I'm having the same issue. Have tried everything mentioned and I can't get it to work properly. 

My experience is similar to Andrew Bird's. My ram preview is also flashing constantly and it struggles to playback simple vector animations. I've also noticed that as soon as I manually save the project file, the astrick appears at the end of the file name in the top bar. It's almost like something in the program is constantly being triggered and this kicks you out when you try to edit text. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 21, 2021 Jan 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have a fix for this yet??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 18, 2020 Aug 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here all across the Adobe CC, Double click not working Ok

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 17, 2020 Dec 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having this issue as well. Why something that's been working FOREVER just stops working!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 21, 2021 Jan 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same issue right now: same text layer i've been able to edit 3 weeks ago, it does not highlight the text in the comp window to make it editable. very annoying, i've been looking some other projects and it's the same. i've tried uninstalling and installing AE again, and it's not working. how did you fix this issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 23, 2021 Jan 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here as well.
I have been using AE for many years and have never had the issues I have experienced with this program's paid cloud versions. It will cause me to dump AE 2020 and go back to using a previously known working version.
Besides the text related issue, I am also having problems with the preview not working.
Adobe has screwed up somewhere, and they need to fix what we are paying for.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 10, 2021 Feb 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issues. I am able to edit certain text layers but not others. Its a pain... Im having to recreate the whole Composition from scratch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 17, 2021 Feb 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have same issue. Can't even type any text in? 

Right now I have to type text in somewhere else and try to hold your mouse when highlighting the text and Paste the text in. 

it s frustrating guys :((

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 17, 2021 Mar 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The worst thing about issues in general is that the people vanish from the forums after solver their problems. They simply abandon the discussion without help the others didn't find a solution. They come for help but not for helping. a Humans being humans.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 17, 2021 Mar 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think it's about not wanting to help others. This subject has been on now for more than a year... without a fix, - unless I have missed it??

I have just updated to AE 2021 and it still doesn't work! 

So I think people just get tired of it! And not everyone is replying back to a response they asked for 1½ years ago. Maybe they don't even work with AE anymore or get notification mail.
But this is really bad from Adobe's side. Instead of saying that they migth actually have removed this function in stead of letting us wait. How can they release a new version and not have it fixed, jeez!

But I get what you mean. It's easy to submit a solution if there is one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 27, 2021 Jul 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem and it suddenly fixed itself..as i hoped it would eventually...it seems to do this every few days now..no idea why though

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 04, 2021 Oct 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ran into the same thing today - double clicking a text layer *did not* select all the text for modification.  I did reset preferences on launch of AE and that *did* fix it.

I understand how frustrating it is for the people who posted here that did not experience the same fix.   I'd be frustrated too!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 20, 2022 Jul 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just faced this issue and it was too buging for me to wait around so, discovered the solution:

Try double clicking the layer with alt key press if it highlights the texts and works for you, next step is go to Preferences>General>
under option "Opening Layers with Double-click(use alt to reverse)"
>On Footage Layer Opens>

toggle "Source Composition Panel" to "Layer Panel".
Hope it works for you.Screenshot (49).png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 19, 2023 Jan 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 17, 2023 May 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just camae here to say thank you for this. Have had the issue on every new instance of AE 23. Been driving me crazy. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines