• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

AE consistently freezes with simple composition

Participant ,
Aug 02, 2022 Aug 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've returned to After Effects after I hiatus of a few months. I previously was using version 18 or so, and updated to 22.5 before starting back.

From the start AE was having trouble keeping the Composition panel updated. After two or three very basic layers (solid, text, rectangle) it would freeze. The best example is this image where I merely resized the Composition panel, screenshot 20.

So I decided to update the graphics card. The first time after updating, AE won't even open. It seems to get stuck on AeDynamicLinkServer. Screenshot 21.

The second time, after 10 minutes AE finally opened. Then I tried 3 basic layers: solid, text and rectangle. Nothing displays in the Composition window, Screenshot 22.

And it happened again: resizing the Composition panel lead to confusion, Screenshot 23.

After closing and restarting the program, it is back to not starting and getting stuck on AeDynamicLinkServer, Screenshot 24.

My environment:

Device Specs

Device name xxxx

Processor 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-1165G7 @ 2.80GHz 2.80 GHz

Installed RAM 16.0 GB (15.7 GB usable)

System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

Pen and touch Pen and touch support with 10 touch points

Windows

Edition Windows 10 Home

Version 21H1

Installed on ‎8/‎19/‎21

OS build 19043.1826

Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.4180.0

Display Adapters

Intel Iris Xe Graphics

Intel Iris Xe MAX Graphics

TOPICS
Freeze or hang

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Aug 05, 2022 Aug 05, 2022

Sorry for the delay in response.

Great troubleshooting! Thanks for trying that.

You didn't lose anything. Instead, you gained some performance boost because now After Effects is using your dedicated GPU. Here's a video that could help with choosing the correct GPU for After Effects: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZ_9rDQtRD4&ab_channel=AdobeCare

This is a demo video for Premiere Pro but you can choose After Effects instead of Premiere.

Hope it helps.

Thanks,

Nishu 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 02, 2022 Aug 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Owen 01,

Thanks for the detailed post.

The interface glitch looks to be related to the GPU driver. Please make sure that your GPU drivers are updated. Here's how you can verify: https://support.viewsonic.com/en/support/solutions/articles/33000221571-how-to-check-graphics-card-d...

For the launch issue, please go to C:\Program Files\Adobe\Common\Plug-ins\7.0\MediaCore and remove all the files and folders (except dummy.txt). This will remove the third-party plug-ins if there are any. See if it helps.

I should mention that your computer is running on minimum system requirements which may affect the performance. If updating the drivers doesn't help, can you try disabling the GPUs one by one in the Windows Device Manager and test After Effects performance?

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks,

Nishu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 03, 2022 Aug 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nishu,

Thanks for your ideas. Both GPU drivers were already up-to-date, and C:\Program Files\Adobe\Common\Plug-ins\7.0\MediaCore has only dummy.txt in it from the first time I reported the problem.

I have two display adapters on my laptop, an Intel Iris Xe and an Intel Iris Xe MAX. Can I safely disable them one at a time and still have an operable screen?

Owen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 05, 2022 Aug 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are 2 graphics device drivers. One is integrated with the system and uses system RAM; the other is a separate device. The separate one is more powerful. I disabled the system one which forces the use of the more powerful one and AE works beautifully. Am I loosing anything by leaving the system one disabled?

Owen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 05, 2022 Aug 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sorry for the delay in response.

Great troubleshooting! Thanks for trying that.

You didn't lose anything. Instead, you gained some performance boost because now After Effects is using your dedicated GPU. Here's a video that could help with choosing the correct GPU for After Effects: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZ_9rDQtRD4&ab_channel=AdobeCare

This is a demo video for Premiere Pro but you can choose After Effects instead of Premiere.

Hope it helps.

Thanks,

Nishu 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines