AE resets my cache location to my system drive

Community Beginner ,
Jun 21, 2022 Jun 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere does it too, but AE has been just awful about it today (and thus here I am).

I have a fancy, super fast, internal SSD, with all the room my little cache folders could ever dream of. I point my cache settings to use the "Adobe Super Cache" folder I created just for my Adobe programs on this internal drive that is not my system drive. Holding the cache is the raison d'etre of this drive. It does nothing else.

I check via Preferences when I open the software & move my cache if need be. I do it again when I open the project, confirming my cache is where I want it to be, on the dedicated cache drive, not my system drive.

Then we get to work, and maybe things start to chug. My first step is to check my cache location. 99% of the time, cache has moved (WHILE I'M WORKING IN THE PROJECT) back to my system drive.

I don't know why it keeps doing this. It's infuriating. I'd love for it to leave the cache where I put it and stop trying to fill up my system drive until my computer chokes. In fact, AE has been sitting open in the background while I type this and despite moving the cache back to the cache drive right before googling for the answer then coming here to post this, "conformed media cache" has moved it's little self right back to the system drive!?! "Disk cache" is still where I left it, so...yay?

MacPro (Intel) running Monterey (but it's done this in previous OS versions)

Running a variety of versions of AE (and Premiere) that have done this, but currently on the most recent release of 22.

TOPICS
Error or problem , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jun 23, 2022 Jun 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Is this the older Mac Pro tower, or the latest model?

The only thing I can think of is that something is causing the drive connection to drop out, even for a split second. Not enough to cause a "drive not properly ejected" error, but enough to cause the Adobe apps to lose the connection to your cache location and revert it back to the Common folder. Are you running any system plugins that monitor your internal drives, RAID software, etc.?

OR

It's possible your preference files are corrupted. Try resetting the prefs by holding down the Option key when you launch the apps, then reset the cache location. See if it sticks.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines