• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

AE running way too slow for a powerful PC!

Explorer ,
Dec 31, 2020 Dec 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am trying to make a Video that has so charts and animations and I just can't work with this very slow speed i'm getting when I try to preview what I made! I tried every single thing I found online like Adaptive Resolution or skipping frames from the "Preview" Panel but it is still way too fast. For every time I pre-render 3 sec of my timeline I need to wait like 10 seconds! 
This is the PC I'm using: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37767368
Plus two 2K Monitors.

Is there something I can do to enhance the AE experince? I feel like my GPU is never being used so idk...
Thank you and have a great New Years Eve!

TOPICS
Error or problem , Freeze or hang , Resources

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 01, 2021 Jan 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, but this is useless. What does "slow" even mean? 10 seconds rendering time for a 3 second segment? Sounds perfectly normal. And since you mentioned charts it seems to me you are missing the obvious: Expressions and other stuff can slow down things massively. that's quitel likely also the cause why all your messing around with resolution and whatnot doesn't change anything - the expression evaluation takes just as long. Sorry, but I think you simply have a wrong understanding and wrong expectations and may need to study up on how AE actually handles these things. You just have to get used to it.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 02, 2021 Jan 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great, instead of providing anything helpful just blame the beginner of not knowing how After Effects works. Anyway I was wondering why it doesn't use more that 10% of CPU power and almost non of GPU power for prerendering? Wouldn't that be the solution for this problem?

Thanks for replying though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 02, 2021 Mar 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

responses like yours make the thought of even posting a question seem like a waste of time. "Get used to it" is condescending and not helpful. If more information is needed to diagnose a problem, just say so without the patronizing tone. Tired of this. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 21, 2023 Oct 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Damn, thanks for explaining to us that its our fault if the software is optimized like a brick. Great advice, genius.

My entiere gaming rig is lagging horribly on this one specific 3D software but thats probably a coincidence..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jan 01, 2021 Jan 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have your preview resolution set to full? I usually keep to a third and a third under the preview window until nearing the end of my project... and under adaptive resolution I keep to 'Fast Draft' a lot of time... but if youre looking to preview in full res you just have to wait till it renders to the cache and then keep your preview panel on loop so after the render loop it should play away fine ... hopefully someone has some good ideas 😮🤔

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even at third it is still too slow and the resolution is way too bad... I feel like AE is not using the PC resources as it should. I wouldn't mind it using 90% of my CPU or GPU for example it that would give me realttime pre-rendering!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In edit - preferences - memory ... you have lots of memory allocated to AE?

UNDER PREVIEWS - is it picking up yoyr graphic card?

In file - project settings - does changing rendering options do anything? 😮🤔

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RAM reserved for AE is 26GB. 

I don't know what you mean by my GPU being picked but here's a screenshot:

Adnan7_0-1609613966072.png

I have the rendering option set to CUDA. It doesn't make any difference switching it to CPU.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well someone else on here said AE wasn't detecting their Nvidia card.

I was just looking through my Nvidia control panel... seems I am actually using the latest game-ready drivers... i dont even do gaming... 

In the 3d settings prohrams list have AE set to high performance Nvidia processor etc... seems to be working fine 🤔

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where do I find this again?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Should have an Nvidia icon in your icon tray... right click - Nvidia control panel 🤔 or type Nvidia control panel into windows menu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rendering time depends entirely on comp frame size, comp frame rate, what is going on with the layers, the render settings, the preview settings. and your available system resources. You must allocate at least 2 GB of ram to other applications, Adobe apps like multiples of 2 GB and doesn't like fractional ram values. We have no idea what is going on in your comp, what source footage you may be using, or what your preview settings are. That's why Mylenium chastized you for not providing any information. Without some idea of what is going on with the comp and your system, meaningful suggestions to improve performance are limited to:

• Set Comp Panel Resolution to Auto
  • Set Magnification Factor to 50% or less
  • Turn off all unnecessary effects - ram previews should only be used for checking timing and placement of objects in the frame
  • Try using Fast Draft
  • If necessary - set preview to skip one or more frames
  • Don't try and edit using After Effects, it is not in any way, shape, or form a video editing app - a comp should only contain a single shot or short sequence that you cannot create in an NLE like Premiere Pro (most of my comps are 1 shot under 7 seconds, my animated comps are seldom longer than one sentence or phrase of music)
  • Do not customize the Comp Size and frame rate unless you have an experts knowledge of video standards, formats, and compression
  • Don't monkey with render settings in the Output Module (Render Queue) or Media Encoder unless you are an expert
  • If the time to render a frame is longer than it is acceptable to you, redesign the comp. My render time limit is about 5 minutes a frame, my average VFX project renders at the rate of a few frames a second, but many of them take one or two minutes a frame to render. Those complicated VFX projects are not ram previewed with all the effects, I just check the hero frames with everything turned on and send the project to render so I can judge the final product accurately
  • Rendering with the C4D rendering option turned on slows things down a great deal. If you don't need to Extrude or bend 3D layers set the rendering option to Classic 3D (if you are using an earlier version of AE do not use Ray-traced Rendering unless there is absolutely no other choice - it never was efficient, it never worked very well.

That should help get you started. 

Show us a screenshot of your timeline with the modified properties of all the layers revealed (select, press 'uu' and show us everything). Tell us about your design goal. Include the comp settings (easy if you have the Project Panel selected and the Comp is selected). If the problem includes rendering tell us or show us your modified rendering settings. Tell us about your system down to the last decimal point.

One more thing, your Ram Preview may only use 10% of CPU power because AE only works on one frame at a time and one frame isn't very big. If you have projects that are going to take a long time to render I strongly suggest that you invest in a Background Rendering app. I have several. RenderGarden is my favorite. With most BG rendering solutions you can start a render and continue to work in AE on your next comp without any noticeable slowdown. They are well worth the investment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[abuse removed by moderator]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 16, 2021 Feb 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm feeling the pain currently.  My workstation computing power (cpu / gpu) barely gets used at all with AE.  Running the following hardware and when AE rendering is at full power it's using 4% of the CPU and virtually none of the GPU. 

AMD TR 3970x (32 core all core at 4.2 GHz)

2x RTX 3090

128 GB memory

Adobe need to address their lack of fully utilizing modern hardware asap.  Relying primarily on single core clock speed has quickly become outdated.  Computing power is being left on the table whenever I open an Adobe app.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 27, 2022 Nov 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exact same feedback here. Having a $3K-$4K machine and not seeing its resources being used is a problem with the software not the hardware, regardless of Expressions, or anything else that's being used. 
Especially when seeing how under Mac environment things work much better 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 27, 2022 Nov 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know if this will help but here is an article on how AE & Premiere Pro and how they use system resources:

OPTIMIZING YOUR SYSTEM FOR PP & AE
https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/kb/hardware-recommendations.html#:~:text=The%20sweet%20spot%20f....

Puget Systems - Hardware Recommendations for Adobe After Effects

https://www.pugetsystems.com/solutions/video-editing-workstations/adobe-after-effects/hardware-recom...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines