• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

AE stutters back and forth when scrubbing timeline

Explorer ,
Jun 07, 2022 Jun 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Latest installs of AE have been absolutely terrible when scrubbing the timeline. Even with fully rendered RAM preview (green line all the way) it does not scrub properly, frames jump forward and backward, to the point where it's frankly unusable.

This happens in comps with nothing but pre-rendered footage, as well as in comps with multiple layers of graphics. Happens with the cache empty, happens whether adapative resolution is on (which I hate because it defeats the purpose) or off.

If anyone can offer some insight into what might be the problem and how to fix it, I'd greatly appreciate it. This is so aggravating, I feel like Adobe has done nothing but make the playback experience worse and worse with every release (I've been using AE since v3.1).

My system specs are below, happy to share my application prefs if that helps diagnose the issue. Thanks!

AE v22.4.0

Mac OS 11.0.1

3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9

32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4

Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB

TOPICS
Performance , Preview

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi MayDayMedia,

Sorry for your issue.

Are there any third-party plug-ins installed? Would you mind sharing a screen recording of the issue? Also, have you tried resetting the preferences of After Effects?

Let us know, we're here to help.

Thanks,

Nishu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nishu, thanks for the reply. Like I said, this occurs regardless of what is in the timeline. Happens with single layer comps that only have one video clip and no effects or any other properties modified, just the same as it happens in timelines with complex animations.

I'll reset my preferences and see if that helps, and will also make a screen recording.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trashing prefs did not help. Will make a screen recording tomorrow, thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jun 21, 2022 Jun 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having this exact same problem. MayDay, can you confirm that if you make the AE window very small on your monitor, the problem goes away?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 23, 2022 Jun 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, thanks for the reply. Still does it even when scaled down small (12.5%)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I mean the entire After Effects application window, not the preview/comp resolution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same thing happening here. Scrubbing stutters back and forth in CC 2022. Doesn't matter what's on the timeline... no plugins, stutters on MOV or image sequences.

Tested in CC 2020 and it does NOT do this

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 06, 2022 Oct 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using an external monitor or Macbook's? Because Im having the same exact issue with a displayport connection. But if I playback on Macbook's monitor scrub is perfect. So the solution I've found is by lowering the display resolution at 3200X1800 @ 50Hz (Previously my settings were 3200X1800 @ 60Hz and my moniitor is a Benq 4K).

Mitadopoulos Alexis

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No external monitor attached.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 07, 2022 Oct 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok I've discovered something else. When selecting "Default for Display" setting in "Display Settings", which in my case is 3840X2160 @60Hz the performance is terrific! So Im guessing that, applying lower resolutions than the default, pushes the GPU more and produces this problem. Maybe someone with tech knowledge can confirm this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem happens to me regardless of display resolution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can cofirm I am having the same issue regardless of settings, plugins or footage. After doing a RAM preview for example, I can not scrub... I have to go frame-by-frame to essentially "re-render" the frames that are preloaded are in the cache.

My system is similar:
MacOS 12.6

3.8 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i7

64GB RAM

Radeon Pro 5500 XT 8 GB

AE version 22.6.0 (all latest updates). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue hasn't gone away for me despite updates to OS, storage systems,
and adobe apps as well as clearing more disk space.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, its dissapointing; I feel like I'm working in Nuke, where the screen has to redraw EVERY time you make a change/move etc. After Effects has historically been so good about caching & previews, but this is a huge step backwards. 

Can anyone on the AE team confirm: is this a result of moving more processes to the GPU? Something else? Is there any hope of a workaround for this productivity killer? Thanks for any info!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 02, 2022 Dec 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think this is related to Adobe's terrible support for high resolution (Retina) displays. Both After Effects and Premiere UI are slow and laggy on iMac Pro, scale the application window down to half the size and it suddenly feels like you're in heaven. I've resorted to running the applications in low-resolution mode (although that feature is now gone in Monterey--can access it thru Terminal though)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's the Terminal command to open AE in low-res mode:

open /Applications/Adobe\ After\ Effects\ 2022/Adobe\ After\ Effects\ 2022.app --args -AppleMagnifiedMode YES

so just adding the following to the open command:

--args -AppleMagnifiedMode YES

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I like how Adobe support replied to this thread “we’re here to help” back
in June and then promptly disappeared from the conversation.

This is why my CC subscription has disappeared from my list of things I
buy. What a joke company.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 17, 2024 Mar 17, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Same issue here. Fully chached preview at 1/2 res, plays back fine, then I scrub and it seems to be re-rendering each frame.

What the heck is wrong?

500gb SSD dedicated to cache only

Mac Pro 2019

3.2 GHz 16-Core Intel Xeon W

Mac OS 14.3.1

AMD Radeon Pro Vega II 32 GB

160 GB 2933 MHz DDR4

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines