Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

AE won't read some files anymore

Community Beginner ,
Nov 02, 2022 Nov 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I had installed codecs so I can import .mkv files by renaming them in .avi.

That worked fine for a long while.
And now, suddenly, they won't play anymore. I can import them, manipulate them, but they won't preview nor render. When I try, AE hangs up for a while then does nothing. Preview remains black. Same with Media encoder.
I tried reinstalling the codecs or AE, to no avail.

Anyone had the same issue?

TOPICS
Freeze or hang , Import and export , Preview

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 03, 2022 Nov 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Without any detailed system info and the relevant info from your media system control panel/ the device manger on the CoDecs we can't really tell you anything. DirectDraw-based CoDecs have never worked well with AE and simple changes in your systems graphics hardware by installing a newer driver for instance can mess up the whole thing. It's beyond AE and doesn't really have anything to do with it. it simply relies on this to be handled at the system level, so the issue is somewhere there.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the answer.

It worked perfectly fine until recently, and it seems to be a common method that works for most users so idk...
Can you specify what infos you need please?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi b75,

Thanks for writing in.

MKV is not supported by After Effects. Changing the extension is a great quick tip, however, it's not the recommended workflow. I'd suggest transcoding the clips to codec supported by After Effects.

Hope it helps.

Thanks,

Nishu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 04, 2022 Nov 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have a lot of these MKV files and work with them frequently and Adobe Media Encoder can convert them, I'd suggest setting up a watch folder.  That way any files you drop into the folder will get converted and be ready to use when you start up After Effects.

It's also the perfect excuse to go on YouTube research while waiting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 05, 2022 Nov 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Never heard of that function, I'd take a look thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 05, 2022 Nov 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get it that it's not an official solution. But it used to work, and now it doesn't, and I want to understand why.
It wasn't perfect but it was just what I needed. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines