Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

AE2022 uses only CPU in rendering

Mar 04, 2022 Mar 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone, I'm trying to use AE22 with this configuration - iMac (Retina 5K, 2019 - 64Gb RAM - 8core i9 3.6Ghz - Radeon Pro Vega 48 8Gb). My problem is that in the rendering process computer is very very slow to process and the only component that works is the CPU (at max frequencies). The GPU still remain to 0 during the entire process (that require a couple hours of time to render). It's normal? It seems like AE doesn't see the GPU because when I use Premiere all the stuff works perfectly.

TOPICS
Import and export , Performance , Resources

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AE is more complex than "flip the GPU switch to find optimization and performance gains." There are many GPU-accelerated effects already with more being re-written for the GPU each year, but that only matters so much when the majority of the software runs CPU-based tasks. In this case, you can't compare Premiere's and After Effects' usages of the GPU, they work very differently. 

If you're not familiar with current development situation, the AE team recently completed major work on a multi-year rewrite of AE's architecture to enable true multi-frame rendering, which should take full advantage of all the cores in your processor. This is where the focus of AE's development efforts are right now, as they should be, and I can only imagine the future of AE's rendering is a hybrid of CPU and GPU, but the GPU alone can't completely support AE, so the main infrastructure needs to catch up and be modernized. Can you confirm that multi-frame rendering is enabled? It's enabled by default, but you can check in the Preferences > Memory & Performance tab. You should also enable the Composition Profiler to see where your bottlenecks are. I've already seen 3x - 4x rendering improvements in some projects using multi-frame rendering.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I confirm that the milti-frame render is enabled and the composition profiler also. It seems strange to me how after effects works like this on a computer with these characteristics but if that's the case and I can't do anything about it (apart from building a better setting from scratch) that's okay. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

There's so much more to performance than just After Effects itself. You haven't even said what the content is in your comp, how long your timeline is, what resolution, whether you're working in 8, 16, or 32-bpc, if the comp has color management enabled, what plug-ins you might be using, how many layers your comp has, whether you're using expressions, or anything else. All of these things can have serious performance impacts on your comp. The point of the Composition Profiler is to show you where your bottlenecks are so you can track them down and fix or rebuild your effects in a different way. There are loads of other factors, including your scratch disk, but are you working with footage, shape layers, a combination of both? If footage, is it highly compressed like H.264 or an intermediate format that's easier to decode like ProRes? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines