• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

aerender error for reading .mov HEVC files: Could not read from source

New Here ,
Dec 22, 2020 Dec 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using aerender and a render-only node through Nexrender to render videos server side on a Windows Server 2019 EC2 instance, and getting a "Could not read from source" error when trying to import a .mov file recorded from an iPhone, which is HEVC H.265 encoded. It works perfectly for H.264 .mov files. 

I'm able to import the HEVC .mov files when I open the After Effects GUI, so this seems to be an aerender specific issue. I'm using After Effects CC 2020 17.5.1, and tried using 17.0.4 and CC 2019 16.1.3. I installed VLC player to have the necessary codecs to play HEVC .mov files on Windows Server 2019. 

I found this post which seemed similar, but I don't have any external plugins as was the culprit in their case. 

Error log:

aerender version 17.5.1x47
Using DXGI: Device: "Microsoft Basic Render Driver" has dedicated video RAM (MB): 0
has video RAM(MB): 0
Skipping DX support: Microsoft Basic Render Driver
Running Script: C:\Users\ADMINI~1\AppData\Local\Temp\2\nexrender\DytqwQPD1HMxf8waBDv2_\nexrender-DytqwQPD1HMxf8waBDv2_-script.jsx
aerender ERROR: Error executing script: C:\Users\ADMINI~1\AppData\Local\Temp\2\nexrender\DytqwQPD1HMxf8waBDv2_\nexrender-DytqwQPD1HMxf8waBDv2_-script.jsx
Error: After Effects error: Could not read from source. Please check the settings and try again.
aerender ERROR: Runtime error in After Effects.

TOPICS
Error or problem , Import and export , Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 08, 2022 Jul 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Curious about whether you ever figured this out.  I have the exact same issue in the exact same environment under the exact same circumstances.  I get pretty much the exact same errors.  If you managed to sort this out, I would love to know how.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 08, 2022 Jul 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Unfortunately not, it's been awhile since I was working on this but I think I remember it was some limitation of running Windows and not having the right codecs. I ended up using AWS mac mini ec2 instances running OSX (not cheap though) to run a small render farm.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines