• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

aerender SYNTAX ERROR: Illegal argument flag: -reuse

Community Beginner ,
Jan 27, 2022 Jan 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When doing renders from the command line it seems that I can not get the -reuse flag to work anymore after After Effects version 2021.

Is this functionality no longer supported? Or am I doing something wrong?

It works when I have an instsance open of After effects 2021 or earlier and use this command:

"/Applications/Adobe After Effects 2021/aerender" -project "/Users/macbook/test.aep" -comp "main_comp" -OMtemplate "h264mp4"  -output "/Users/macbook/test.mp4" -reuse

But when I try this with After Effects 2022 or the llatest beta version:

"/Applications/Adobe After Effects 2022/aerender" -project "/Users/macbook/test.aep" -comp "main_comp" -OMtemplate "h264mp4"  -output "/Users/macbook/test.mp4" -reuse

It doesn't render and gives me this error:

"aerender SYNTAX ERROR: Illegal argument flag: -reuse"

Any help would be greatly appeciated.

TOPICS
Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Oct 27, 2022 Oct 27, 2022

Hi @renenijman,

This issue has been fixed in After Effects 22.6 and later versions. If you continue to encounter an error when using the "-reuse" flag, please follow the instructions I posted here to reset the Apple Event permissions for the Terminal.

Cheers,

- John, After Effects Engineering Team 

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Feb 07, 2022 Feb 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue. Mac OS Big Sur 11.4

aerender version 22.1.1x74

PROGRESS: Launching After Effects...

aerender SYNTAX ERROR: Illegal argument flag: -reuse

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 14, 2022 Feb 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am seeing the same error. Any help on this? Is this happening only on Mac M1 machines?
There seems to be no reference to this online. 

I am running the latest version of AE `aerender version 22.2x120`

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 28, 2022 Feb 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A temporary workaround for me seems to be that I can have the terminal script use an older version of aerender (in my case 2019) with the -reuse flag and if I then have an instance of 2022 open, it will reuse that instance.

I fear feel this might not always work down the road, so a fix would be highly appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 30, 2022 Apr 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there any official update on this? The latest stable and beta releases still seem to not recognize the "-reuse" flag anymore.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 27, 2022 Oct 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi @renenijman,

This issue has been fixed in After Effects 22.6 and later versions. If you continue to encounter an error when using the "-reuse" flag, please follow the instructions I posted here to reset the Apple Event permissions for the Terminal.

Cheers,

- John, After Effects Engineering Team 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines