• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

After Effcts Adds 1 Frame to My Comp Duration

Community Beginner ,
Nov 07, 2022 Nov 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Every time I open "Composition Settings" and then click "OK" (without changing any settings) after-effects will add 1 frame to the duration of my comp. I have found that if I click "Cancel" instead, then the 1 frame will not be added.

Does anyone know if adding this one frame is a bug or if it can be turned off?

TOPICS
Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 09, 2022 Nov 09, 2022

I give you the reason, I adjusted exactly the same parameters that you are using and it does increase a frame every time I accept the composition settings window without having modified anything. I fixed it by closing the framerate parameter to 29.97 and not 29.9726 like you have it set. Try it.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Nov 07, 2022 Nov 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you set a comp to 30 fps and 5 seconds, the comp length should show 5:00 in the Composition settings.

If you go to the last frame of the composition, the CTI (Current Time Indicator) will be at 0:00:04:29 because the last frame has not played yet. The total time of the composition will be exactly 5 seconds after the last frame has played. 

I have never seen any other behavior, but I have seen a lot of forum questions over the years wondering why the last frame of the composition was one frame less than the comp length and why an out-point extended one frame past the CTI. Compositing and Editing apps typically make a cut at the start of the last frame so you can see what is going on. NLE's like Avid, Final Cut Pro, Movie Maker, and Premiere Pro trim the timeline to the current position of the CTI, and you can't see anything when you trim because the last frame has played.

If you see anything else, let me know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 08, 2022 Nov 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand what you are saying but it is not the problem I am having. If I have a 05:00 second comp and then open up composition settings and click "ok" after effects will add one frame to the comp length, so the comp length now would be 05:01 and then if I do it again it will add another frame so 05:02

I am 90% sure this is a bug that adobe needs to fix

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't reproduce your problem with any version of AE that I have installed. Try trashing your preferences. Tell us what version. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to replicate the issue you describe but in my Ae 2023 version it does not happen, that is, everything is correct because it stays where I left the duration of my composition. Are you working on 2023 or some other version? If it is a previous version, try to update that version as much as possible to see if the issue is fixed. And if you can, take a video capture, upload it to YouTube or another platform and show us.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is a video of the problem I am having.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 09, 2022 Nov 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I give you the reason, I adjusted exactly the same parameters that you are using and it does increase a frame every time I accept the composition settings window without having modified anything. I fixed it by closing the framerate parameter to 29.97 and not 29.9726 like you have it set. Try it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 15, 2022 Nov 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you, that worked for me!!

I did a little more experimenting and it seems every time the digit after the decimal is 5 or larger, and there are at least 3 or 4 digits after the decimal, then it will add frames, but I also noticed that the duration is also a factor. There are some durations that never add frames no matter what the frame rate is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines