• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

After Effect 2021 - 18.2.1 (Build 8) STILL Freezes/Crashes... THEORY found.

Community Beginner ,
Jun 11, 2021 Jun 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After an update from AE 2021 18.2 to 18.2.1, AE still crashes when switching between compositions/importing assets/etc. I believe I have found the source of the problem to be in using another monitor as the VIDEO PREVIEW. I tested this theory using the SAME project, switching from compositions and adding assets.  When I have enabled the VIDEO PREVIEW and I begin to either import or toggle from compositions, my Mac freezes for an extensive amount of time. HOwever, when the VIDEO PREVIEW is off on the second monitor, the import and switching compositions work fine.

AE 2020 does not show the same symptoms as AE 2021, which is why I use it as a backup.  In AE 2020, I can switch from compositions to/fro and import with toggling the VIDEO PREVIEW on/off with the "/" key on the numeric keypad with ease and no freeze/crash. 

I hope this helps for anyone on the development team, b/c its really been a pain working in AE 2021 to work when all it does is just freeze in the midst of working.

My CPU specs are as follows:

• Mac PRO (Mid-2012)
  • 3.2GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
  • 48GB 1066MHz DDR3
  • Radeon RX580 8GB

TOPICS
Crash , Error or problem , Freeze or hang

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi default8tor2jroxirf,

Thanks for writing in.

Have you tried troubleshooting it? If so, please share the steps that you tried already. Also, please share the following details:

• What's the version of macOS you're using?
  • What's the make & model of the secondary monitor and how is it connected with the computer (what's the medium)?
  • What happens if you drag and drop the files in After Effects?

Let us know, we're here to help.

Thanks,

Nishu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Nisha,

I did perform the troubleshoot as I described to the best of my knowledge in the previous message of which you replied from. I apologies for failing to have mentioned the OS, but the other stats of my machine are mentioned. For the sake of responding, I'll repeat:

• MacOS Mojave Version 10.14.6 (not listed in previous message)
  • Mac PRO (Mid-2012)
  • 3.2GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
  • 48GB 1066MHz DDR3
  • Radeon RX580 8GB

The monitors I use are SAMSUNG CHG90 and LG 24ML44B/MN430M are used on the Radeon RX580 8 GB

The problem is a hit-and-miss/intermittent/sporatic when perfroming the drag-n-drop into After Effects--sometimes it freezes, sometimes not.

I hope this helps.

Best,

Anthony

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 22, 2021 Jul 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you sooo much for sharing this workaround! I had the same issue and I really didn't know what else to try but seems like it helped me. 

I really hope this will be fixed tho.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines