• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

After Effect custom workspace keeps rearranging itself...why?!

New Here ,
Nov 08, 2017 Nov 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have a custom workspace set up in AE. However, every time my project autosaves and sometimes when I import new assets all the panels resize, some crush up to one side, some spread wide in the middle. On some occasions, panels will even disappear.

It used to be that I could reset to saved workspace and it would correct itself - though this is tedious when I have to do it after every autosave - but since the CC2018 update, this no longer works. It seems like AE isn't saving my layout but is saving this squashed and stretched layout instead and I can't overwrite it.

I have also saved it under new names and that doesn't work.

It's beginning to drive me mad, not to mention interfering with my workflow.

Any help is gratefully received.

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Sep 21, 2018 Sep 21, 2018

My solution is to create a KBar button of "reset to saved layout"

It's a tiny bit faster and at this point, it's second nature...

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OS and AE version, please. Is your AE version up to date?

I'm having no problems with any of the last 3 releases installed on 4 different Mac systems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Of course, sorry.

Windows 10 Pro (v. 1709)

CC2018 (AE v15.0.0 (Build 180))

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 07, 2017 Dec 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi JustinH,

Are you still seeing this issue? Please let us know.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 08, 2017 Dec 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, the problem is persisting.

One note, however, our only happens on my work PC, which is running 4k

monitors. Not at home on 2k. Could this be part of the problem, I wonder?

Justin Hall | Graphics Animator

justin@amediapro.com | amediapro.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 20, 2017 Dec 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Might be, JustinH. Can you contact us and we can work with you on this issue. Here's how to contact us:FAQ: How do I contact Adobe Support?

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 08, 2018 Mar 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Was there any resolution to this?  I have the same problem - windows 7, AE 2017.2, dual monitors.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No. I spent nearly an hour with Adobe Support, even let them remote in and nothing.

I'm also seeing the problem on my home machine, Win 10, AE CC2018, 1080 monitor.

Somewhere in some file the right info is not being saved.

Even worse than the AE workspace, though is the Premiere workspace. If I try to change from the default, it just removes all the panels entirely! Even with the preset workspaces.

Adobe needs to fix this quick, there are other options out there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Too bad, I've had this problem for a long time - for some reason my current project is doing it almost constantly, very annoying and time delaying. When I move things back to where they should be I even do 'save changes to current workspace' but it still whacks out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 21, 2018 May 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been having this problem for a long time.  This is on both computers I use both are always updated to most recent version of AE.  One has Windows 10 Pro, the other Home.  Both have dual monitor setup.  One has 2 1920*1080 the other has 1920*1080 and 4k.

Almost any time I load a project, import an asset, or AE does something that takes a few seconds my panels are resized thinner and sometimes AE loses full screen.  This only happens with AE, not any other Adobe products or any other programs.

Before

before.jpg

After

after.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 05, 2018 Jun 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has there been a fix for this yet? This has been happening for so long. It’s very frustrating

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 08, 2018 Jun 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here,

Win 10 Pro ver. 1803, AE CC 15.1.1
GeForce GTX 1080 Ti, 2 4k monitor

Every time I open or create a new project, or even when I use some plugins I have to Reset to Saved Layout.

Hope Adobe can find a solution to this, thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reminder to everyone in this thread: you can double-click your workspace name at the top to quickly reset it.

Not a fix, but a faster way to deal with the issue until it's fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, it doesn't always work so you have to rearrange your workspace manually.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 27, 2023 Nov 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Holy Moly, thank you for this info. It totally worked for me. Very much appreciated!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 21, 2018 Sep 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem. Wish Adobe would fix it soon cause I can't find a solution out there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My solution is to create a KBar button of "reset to saved layout"

It's a tiny bit faster and at this point, it's second nature...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worked like a charm! Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 26, 2018 Sep 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am experiencing the same problem. I am really getting fed up of adobe with all these bugs when they release a new update for their programs. I hope they find a solution really soon as in now cause i am already researching for another program to switch to, I DON'T NEED ANY HEADACHES RIGHT NOW IN MY LIFE AND ADOBE SEEMS TO BE A VERY BIG ONE!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 26, 2018 Sep 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe has got me extremely scared to do any updates but the way their programs are working after i did the last update i can't wait for their next update hoping it will correct all these bugs that I am experiencing now which makes Adobe soft wares a nightmare to work with. Once i find a working update i am never really gonna update my software in a hurry unless there is a major additional feature that will benefit me. That is if I am still using adobe software cause at this rate I am not sure how long i will be staying with them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 22, 2018 Oct 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having exactly the same issue since a year ago or so.

Every time I save the project (or autosave), open a new project and switch between windows, the workspace changes itself.

In my case I'm using a triple-monitor setting:

1920*1080p (two of them)

1680*1050 (the third, and usually this monitor is the one which rearranges the most)

It would be great to have a REAL fix for this.

Windows 10 - October 11 2018 Update

After Effects CC2019

GTX 1070 Strix

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 10, 2018 Dec 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem for years... this is extremely annoying. Adobe, get your shit together..............

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 16, 2019 Jan 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dont forget that for AfterEffects, the projects themselves save the workspace information. This means that if you save a project it also remembers what workspace settings were on at the time you saved that project. Then, when you try to open that project, it also tries to set that workspace.

This causes some confusion because for other Adobe apps, the files themselves do not save workspace layouts. You might be setting a custom workspace yourself but if you open a project that had a different workspace it will override that as soon as you open the project.

I suspect that this feature could be the cause of some of the confusion on this thread. Projects not only hold project files, videos etc... they also hold the workspace that was used when you last saved them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 06, 2022 Sep 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have the same problem. Im spending most my time trying to fix this dumb window space problem and Im in AE2022

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 30, 2023 Oct 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2023 and still having this issue and don't know how to fix it. It's really frustating. Did anyone came up with a solution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines