• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

After Effect running slow on m1 pro 2021

Community Beginner ,
Apr 11, 2022 Apr 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I just want to know I recently shift to MacBook and I have Mac M1 Pro 2021. I used adobe premiere pro and it works perfectly either timeline or renders but today I work on video and use after Effects and that makes me shocked because after effect is very slow and the timeline takes so long to load. 

I do change my render to CPU which is mac built-in but still very low, can someone please guide me what's wrong with that because I wasn't expected such performance.

TOPICS
Expressions , FAQ , Performance , Preview

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 12, 2022 Apr 12, 2022

Also, because you are using an Apple Silicon M1 Pro Mac, make sure you updated to the After Effects 22.3 update which came out yesterday. It’s the first Apple Silicon native release, so performance should be far superior to running the Intel version on an M1 Mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 11, 2022 Apr 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Awais Butt,

Welcome to the community.

Is it the After Effects interface or playback that's slow (could you share a screen recording)? What are the details of the footage you imported (frame rate, frame size, format/codec)? Also, does it happen in all the projects?

Let us know, we're here to help.

Thanks,

Nishu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 12, 2022 Apr 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, it's playback, I mean when I click on render preview it's load slow but other actions are going well.
Also I just started project on new device so I will check more work soon but for testing I used to upload new project and it's also play slow then I let me render preview 1/2 

Thanks for your support 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 12, 2022 Apr 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, because you are using an Apple Silicon M1 Pro Mac, make sure you updated to the After Effects 22.3 update which came out yesterday. It’s the first Apple Silicon native release, so performance should be far superior to running the Intel version on an M1 Mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 13, 2022 Apr 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I will update soon and hopefully, it will fix 🙂
Thanks for the help 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Mar 01, 2023 Mar 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I have the solution - turn off "Multi frame rendering" In Memory and Performance settings. Really helped me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 15, 2022 Oct 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having similar issues on my 2014 M1 Pro. I have the 10-core model with 32GB RAM, and the performance is nearly unusable. Using AE v22.6, a 10-second fairly basic timeline that is taking over 2 hours to render (the same project on a colleague's PC takes ~5 minutes). Activity Monitor shows little use, and the battery is hardly draining. Editing text on a soloed layer within the comp has 2-5 second delays. Any acknowledgement or suggestions would be welcome. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 17, 2022 Oct 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm observing the same problem. Use a Macbook Pro 2021 M1 Pro with 32 GB RAM. Work with Adobe Character, Illustrator and After Effects, using Dynamic Link. Both playback and rendering take a very, very long time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 17, 2022 Oct 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Edit: *2021 M1 Pro. 
All of their Adobe apps run fast and responsive, Premiere has had no issues at all. The slow rendering issue seems to be only in AE. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 18, 2022 Oct 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

True. Even Adobe Character runs smoothly. It's only AE, also when used without embedded Dynamic Link files from character. Does anyone have asolution for that issue? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jan 12, 2023 Jan 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I find After Effects runs very fast and normally for a while, then starts to slow down suddenly. I restart it and it goes back to being fast for a while. It's like the M1 allocates memory away from it and hobbles it... anyone else notice this pattern?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 16, 2023 Jan 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. This is exactly what is happening.  It starts very fast renders are like a breeze in the beginneing then suddenly it goes dead in terms of speedm i restart it again gets fast for sometime. Not able to figure out the prob/solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 20, 2023 Feb 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue on a macbook m1 pro, 16GB Ram, with Ventura and AE 23.2.0 and before. I was exporting a simple project to mp4 via the renderer. The project was a edited 3min Interview as QT ProRes HQ,25fps. I just added a few text layers (names and such). The rendering starts fairly quick, then slows down heavely. After about an hour or so the render was finished. Same project took just 2min export on a pc with less performance. Premiere Pro and other apps runnnig fine and fast. What can we do?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 16, 2023 Jul 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I hope this helps, I was trying to rotoscope clips in premiere pre using the dynamic link, having big problems, I was getting warnings about the framerate,  I tried multiple methods that I found on youtube, and it still super laggy and i was left with a poorly rendered clip... Until i used this method! I first of all created a proxy for all my clips in premiere pro, then created a duplicate of the clip that i wanted to to rotoscope, then I turned off all the effects of the clip apart from motion i then nested the clip and proceeded to click replace clip with aftereffects composition... in after effects i chose the composition in the project window and created another proxy in after effects, then precomposed the clip, and after that rotoscoping worked seamlessly like in seconds it was done and i the chose to freeze it and went back to premiere pro and the clip was rotoscoped and working seamlessly... I'm on a 16gb M1 btw! I made a video and posted it on youtube hopefully this will help a lot of people from jumping through hoops or looking to upgrade their computer! https://youtu.be/izOS89KW4xI

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 01, 2023 Aug 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a MacBook Pro M1 Max 64GB RAM + 4TB HD. It went from rendering SUPER FAST to SNAIL SPEED. I tried rendering a simple videohive project and went through a painfully slow 8hr render for a 1.5 minute animation (no plugins). After looking everywhere for answers, somebody shed some light on the problem. A CORRUPT FONT! I replaced the font and re-rendered my project. I went from an 8 hour render to a full render in 3.7 minutes. INSANE! I'm now in the process of curating my font library and getting rid of any corrupt fonts. Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 01, 2023 Aug 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Wow! I didn't know, corrupt fonts could lead into these problems. How did you find out, that the font damaged?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines