• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

After Effects 2021 worked all last week, now won't open-throws an error during boot up screen

Community Beginner ,
May 19, 2021 May 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using a Win 10 machine. Just got the WIN 10 20H2 update. The app worked fine. The next day it won't open. I uninstalled and reinstalled numerous times with and without preferences. Rebooted after each install and uninstall. I still get this error:

Process: AfterFX.exe [16440]
Path: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe After Effects 2021\Support Files\AfterFX.exe
Product Version: 18.2.0.37
File Version: 18.2.0.37
Code Type: x64
Parent Process: explorer.exe [9164]

Date/Time: 2021-05-19 08:44:01 Pacific Daylight Time
OS Version: 10.0.19041.928
Report ID:

Time Awake Since Boot: 3029 seconds

Crashed thread: 19 [17036] THREAD_PRIORITY_NORMAL

Exception Code: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION
Exception Parameters: User-Mode data execution prevention (DEP) violation at location 0x0000000000000000
Exception Message: 3221225477 The instruction at 0x%p referenced memory at 0x%p. The memory could not be %s.

The threads go on and on for pages.

I can get this to work on my compnay laptop but not on my company desktop, which is more powerful, so I do all my work on that.

TOPICS
Crash , Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , May 20, 2021 May 20, 2021

I got it fixed with help from Adobe Support. I have a NVIDIA video card to drive my 4K monitor and graphics. But there is an Intel video card that comes with the Dell setup. My theory is when I got a big Windows OS update and a Dell update one of those they switched on both cards. The Intel one I believe was the non-compliant OpenGL card. I disabled that and now After Effects works great.

Thanks 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I now get an Error message the OpenGL in my graphics card is not compatible with After Effects. I contacted NVIDIA cleaned all drivers, reinstalled latest driver but the problem still persists.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi randallr57184699,

Sorry for the crash issue.

When exactly does it crash? Does it crash at the splash screen or it crashes after launch? What are the system specifications (CPU, GPU, RAM, OS)? Also, could you share a screenshot of the error?

We're here to help, just need more info.

Thanks,
Nishu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 20, 2021 May 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got it fixed with help from Adobe Support. I have a NVIDIA video card to drive my 4K monitor and graphics. But there is an Intel video card that comes with the Dell setup. My theory is when I got a big Windows OS update and a Dell update one of those they switched on both cards. The Intel one I believe was the non-compliant OpenGL card. I disabled that and now After Effects works great.

Thanks 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 20, 2021 May 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Glad to hear that. Thanks for updating the thread.

Feel free to reach out if there are any other questions.

Thanks,

Nishu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines