After Effects 2022 filling up RAM and stopping rendering - big trouble and hopefully workaround

Community Beginner ,
Jan 13, 2022 Jan 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey After Effects Community,

I wanted to share my experience for it may help some of you having the same problem: A few days ago After Effects got really buggy, renderings with "mulitple frame rendering" startet fast, then slowed down until it just went one frame per second, then finally stopping, filling up the RAM to nearly 100%. When I tried to stop it, it couldn't free the RAM again, most of the time even killing the task via task manager didn't work anymore, then I had to restart the computer. After trying a lot of things like changing the NVIDIA driver, switching to software only rendering, changing the bit depth to 8 Bit, deactivating multi frame rendering, trying to render via Media Encoder and so on, I reinstalled Windows entirely, but the problem still persisted. Today I tried one thing that finally seems to help: I switched off the function "cache frames when idle" in the composition/preview menue and since then After Effects works normal again. It seems this function fills up the RAM and is somehow not able to free the RAM again. Even without rendering, just opening a project filled up the RAM up to 96% without giving the memory back, also, when closing After Effects, it took agees until all the RAM was cleared. Now, with this turned off, it works fine again. My system specs are:

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3970X, 32x 3.7GHz, 128MB Cache

2x NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, 11GB with NVIDIA NVLINK BRIDGE HB

Microsoft Windows 10 

If you have any clues where this comes from, please let me know. Adobe, please fix this, it cost me hours and hours being on a short schedule!

Best, David

TOPICS
Crash , Error or problem , Freeze or hang , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 13, 2022 Jan 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi David,

Thanks for taking the time to create this post. I am sure it'll be helpful for users and help us in investigating this issue.

Feel free to reach out if there are any questions.

Thanks,

Nishu

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines