• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

After Effects 22.1.1 Memory Leak problem (Windows)

Community Beginner ,
Jan 07, 2022 Jan 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is anyone else experiencing memory leak problem with After Effect 22.1.1?

When not doing anything in reasonably complex project  memory usage increases to almost all 128GB. The project has nested AE projects and subcomps and links to EXR and PSD content. Purging all Cache removes the memory allocation back down to 24GB and then it starts stepping up again while I am not doing anything.

I see that there is a memory issue on M1 Mac systems. 

I am going to try an old version of AE i.e. 18.4.3.

TOPICS
Crash , Freeze or hang , Performance , Resources

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 08, 2022 Jan 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Without more specific info about your system we can't tell you much. Typically this boils down to driver or configuration issues, so the first thing to do would be to check those and update them if necessary. The only other thing I could imagine otherwise is potential issues with MFR rendering duplicating too many files and producing excessive cache data, so try turning it off. Everything beyond that will require much better information.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 08, 2022 Jan 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi botherbuilder,

Sorry for your issue.

As Mylenium suggested, please share the following details so that we can troubleshoot the issue properly.

• What are your system specifications (CPU, GPU, RAM, OS version)?
  • Does it happen with all the projects?
  • Are you using any third-party plug-ins?
  • Did you the previous version? Did it work?

Let us know, we're here to help.

Thanks,

Nishu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 09, 2022 Jan 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nishu,

The following is my configuration:

AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16-Core Processor

128GB RAM,

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080,

M.2 2TB SSD,

Windows 10 Professional

AE plugins -

- Most of the Maxon One plugins

- Plexus 3

I have upgraded to the lastest Nvidia Games driver rather than Studio. 

I believe the issue is less prominent in the 2021 version and we were able to render without any issues. Having spoken to Adobe Support directly, they suspect an issue with Red Giant Universe plugins with 2022. From now on and until there is a fix I am using the 2021 version of AE, Encoder and other Adobe applications. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 09, 2022 Jan 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will do some more experiementation when we have finished our current client project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 10, 2022 Jan 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YES I started having memory leak issues the moment I upgraded to latest AE 22.1.1.  I was preparing files and screen shots for my own post on this but have to finish a project first. My issue occurres with .exr files that I am using to composit render passes.  AE shoots up to 63 GB memory usage and freezes.  I start having screen redraw issues and sometimes the entire computer crashes.  One of the error codes was this:

Bad allocation error (0::9997)

Out of memory

(23:40)

My system has 64GB memory and a RTX 3090 GPU.
The same file worked perfectly in AE ver. 17.

Interestingly,  I DO NOT have this problem with the AE Beta 22.2.0 (there is an even newer one but I have not yet downloaded it).  When the same file that crashes AE 22.1.1 is loaded into the AE Beta 22.2.0 my memory usage is capped and dosen't go above 53 -  55gb and I am able to work on my file as normal.

Re: Red Giant plugins. I will have to check if any are being used. But I did start a fresh file with new .exr renders that were using no plugins other than for Cryptomatte and ACES and the same memory leaking occurred in AE 22.1.1 but not in the Beta 22.2.0.

If necessary I can try to provide more info, logs, screenshots, etc..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 12, 2022 Jan 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I uninstalled Universe plugin and went back to using the latest version of 2021 CC AE and Encoder. Rendering is a lot quicker and there are not memory issues. We are just finishing a client job and I can't do any more testing now that we have a work around but I suspect it is a combination of 2022 + Red Giant Universe plugins, even though the project doesn't use any Maxon/Red Giant plugins. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 31, 2022 Jan 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are not alone! I am having this exact issue also, it's been driving me absolutely nuts.

Is it safe to conclude that this is indeed a bug?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 17, 2022 Mar 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a similar problem!

I have a complicated project with lots of expressions, but in a couple of minutes working on the project, my memory usages for AE goes form 5GB to 22GB or more in a matter of minutes. When I clear my memory via AE it goes down to 16GB but that's still very high. I have it both on PC and Mac, so it's no a computer problem ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 19, 2022 Apr 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Use AE 2022 and go to 'composition' < 'preview' and turn of the 'Cache Frames when Idle' function.

It worked for me, because AE was apparently cashing frames while the program was open but not actively used, and since I've turned it off, my memory usage is back to normal. Hope it helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines