• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

After Effects 24.02 Macbook Pro 2019 Ventura CRASHING MY WHOLE MACHINE IN SAFE MODE

Contributor ,
Nov 08, 2023 Nov 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since updating to 24.02 AE is crashing my whole machine ALL THE TIME.

TOPICS
Crash

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Contributor , Nov 08, 2023 Nov 08, 2023

Ok, looks good - all working fine and no crashes so far - just went back to do the same actions and seems totally stable on AE 23.

Def an issue with AE 24 since the latest version update.  Let me know if you need further details to identify the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Nov 08, 2023 Nov 08, 2023

I'm sorry to hear that. Do you have repro steps, or a crash log from the OS, or from AE? Is it when starting AE, or rendering or some other steps? 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry to hear that. Do you have repro steps, or a crash log from the OS, or from AE? Is it when starting AE, or rendering or some other steps? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for swift response.

It literally crashes my macbook.  Freezes then have to hard restart the machine, so no logs or anything (unless they're hidden away somewhere).

I'm not doing anything daft - just moving shape layers around in the timeline. The actions seem to be random - so it's intermittent but very very frequent.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a deadline tomorrow morning - how do I save this project as an AE version 23 so I can complete the job?

AE 2024 is now completely unusable. I don't want to have to start all over again - I'll be working through the night as it is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If your machine will stay up long enough, Start AE, load the project (turn on caps lock to stop it rendering), then File -> Save As... and you can pick a previous version to save into. 

That said, Mac's normally will bring up a dialog after a system crash with information about a Kernel panic or something similar. If that's not happening, it sounds like maybe a hardware issue is happening with the machine. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks very much - I'll work on AE 23 tonight and let you know if I suffer any crashes....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, looks good - all working fine and no crashes so far - just went back to do the same actions and seems totally stable on AE 23.

Def an issue with AE 24 since the latest version update.  Let me know if you need further details to identify the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just ran tests on 24.0.2 on a mac intel 2019 laptop, on both macOS 13 and macOS 14. Neither exhibited any problems starting up, rendering complex projects, exporting content. 

If you're able to screen capture or turn on AE's logging on AE 24 and get me a log file, that'd be really helpful... right now I'm not even sure where to start otherwise. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you say "turn on AE 24's logging", what do you mean exactly - is this not something it does by default?  Let me know exactly what to do to ensure these crases appear on logs and I'll make the neccesary changes and send you the neccesary logs.

AE 23 is still working absolutely fine, by the way, so I guess we have no option but to agree it's a definite bug with AE 24.  The logic is kind of irrefutable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From the Help Menu, you can "Enable Logging" and that will write out log files of the AE session. It's not enabled by default. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 09, 2023 Nov 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I just enabled logs on AE24 and spent a coupole of minutes to reproduce the crash.

Now, where do I find the actual log file?

Every single Adobe community article I found on "after effects log locations" lists a path and location which doesn't exist on my machine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Head back to the Help menu -> Reveal Logging Files... a few folders will open. You're looking for the After Effects Log.txt and (if it is there), After Effects Log (last).txt files. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hmm.....reveal.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You shouldn't need to search Help for the menu item. 

jenkmeister_0-1699563129055.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

...the only files in there were created 2 minutes ago.  I guess that means no log was created.  Useful.

Any suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try recreating the crash again. The log file does write as the app is going along but it's possible if you've opened AE a few more times since the crash, the log files with the crash have been overwritten. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 17, 2024 Jan 17, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the exact same problem. It's minor tweaks like moving a shape or something else that shouldn't cause a crash. It just freezes my MacBook. I'm available to move the mouse but nothing else, then I have to do a cold restart. I go into the program, work for like 5-10 minutes, then it crashes again.

Is it still working for you with the downgrade to After effects 23 version?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Working in 2023 is definitely MUCH better - I mean the performance is still atrocious for such an expensive machine + expensive piece of software.  But, it doesn't do the hard crash where it kills the macbook - it's NEVER done it, and it's only 2024 which has ever crashed my whole machine.  All crashes on previous versions just crashed the app alone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Been working in 23 for the last hour since writing in here, no crash 🙏

Ofcourse that isn't satisfying for a paid subscribtion, but that will have to be the solution until @jenkmeister or someone else at Adobe corrects the error.

thanks for your reply @Estebee 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines