Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

after effects cache goes up to 300mb in a few seconds

Community Beginner ,
Mar 16, 2021 Mar 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everybody,

I got an issue with AE. My cache rises to 500mbs in no time even after only working with a font. I type my name, move it 3 times and its at 300mbs. i deleted the cache before so that i could start fresh, same issue. Working on a project for a while rises it to 50 gbs in like half an hour. I texted the support and one guy told me to try doing it with a new administator on my laptop but that didnt solve the thing. Texted the support again and then the other guy told me that its normal. So i'm really confused. 

I tried to delete the cache manually but after checking out the 'common' folder where it said that the media cache should be located it only shows me a plugin folder but if i check in ae i can see that there are multiple files in it.

Im not really good with technical stuff on a laptop so im kinda lost. (using macOS if that helps)

TOPICS
Error or problem , How to , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It depends on how huge the project is,  In my case, I purge the cache almost every 30 minutes, From

Edit -> Purge -> purge all memory and disk cache

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it happens even if i only type my name, 'Danilo', move it 4 times for like 2 minutes and its already at 200mb. so is this a normal thing? just thought that my ae is doing weird stuff and i just messed up some things

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't see any problem here. If you are working on a big composition (UHD-4K) at 16bpc every frame could be around 63MB. Cache files can be deleted in the Edit > Purge menu. Not necessary to delete the files manually.

But if you are refering at the screen captures, this is not the size of your preview files but the size of the folder that will store the cache. At 500GB After Effects will delete the older cache files to create the new ones.

Not sure what you are asking...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i just set it to 1980 and 30 fps, only used my name typed as an experiment and moved it around and it went to 200 mbs. so this is normal if its at 16bpc?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the screenshots are ment to show that when i check the media cache folder its empty but when i check it with ae it shows me files that i could not see while searching manually.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is absolutely normal at that composition size to get a cache of 200mb in a few clicks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alright, thank you very much, i really thought i did something wrong. So then it was probably the 16 or 32bpc that caused it. Perfect, thanks a lot, you have no idea how relieved i am right now. Thanks again 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check attached image. If you enter into your composition settings, you will see the size of every frame when you are working in a comp.

Captura de pantalla 2021-03-16 a las 23.14.43.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 17, 2021 Mar 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

oooh thats amazing! I didnt know that 😮 thanks a lot 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines