• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

After Effects cannot open files in the “After Effects Project” format

Community Beginner ,
Jul 26, 2021 Jul 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue as https://community.adobe.com/t5/after-effects/quot-after-effects-cannot-open-files-in-the-after-effec...

adobe.png

Not sure if this is an Adobe or Apple issue, or both. Happens in both After Effects and Premiere.

The only way to open the project is File > Open Project... from within Ae/Pr, which requires me to navigate to the containing folder from the Open dialog window. Opening from File > Open Recent > also works.

It's not a file-association issue; I've checked that.

Even dragging the aep on to the Ae icon (in Dock or app switcher) doesn’t work.

Sometimes restarting the computer will temporarily fix the issue.

A while back, I solved the issue without restarting by going to System Preferences > Security > Full Disk Access > Enable After Effects. But that isn't working anymore.

I've tried Repairing Disk via Disk Utility.

I've tried rebuilding the launch services database.

I've tried using a brand new admin user account.

I've tried pulling my hair out.

None of these worked.

(macos Catalina)

TOPICS
Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Dec 23, 2023 Dec 23, 2023

I also have this problem. I installed the AfterCodecs rendering plug-in. After I uninstalled the plug-in, the problem disappeared. I was very angry.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jul 26, 2021 Jul 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's an OS problem and looks like you have a permission issue, anyway you still run Catalina, so I think it's time to upgrade, I know it may be painful but something you should do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 27, 2021 Jul 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adding on to this (hi, from the other thread lol) - I have read in a few other Stack Exchange posts that upgrading the OS does solve this issue.

To really check that it is an OS-issue, I'd recommend booting in safe mode and then opening a project through finder. See if it works there? Again, not a solution, but would help isolate the issue.

You could also always try zapping your PRAM (I know, kind of a lazy troubleshooting suggestion).

Last idea would be to try repairing permissions in your home folder, as this does sound like a permissions error: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251304255?answerId=252514856022#252514856022

I'm definitely trying the "spaghetti at the wall" approach here, but maybe some of this info gets you closer to a solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ugh, I can't read, didn't see that you already tried repairing disk in your post. My bad.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I have a support request and waiting for a call from Adobe Enterprise Support.

Seems like there's at least 3 ways to repair permissions...

1. First Aid from Disk Utility -- which is what I've tried

2. From recover mode -- as described at link above

3. From terminal -- as described at https://eclecticlight.co/2020/02/18/repairing-permissions-in-your-home-folder-has-changed/

I'll try the other 2 methods.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 22, 2022 Jun 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having this same issues, and upgrading the macOS did not fix it. It actually started happening about a few days ago, using the latest macOS 12.4. It did not coincide with when I did the update to 12.4 weeks ago.

Trying everything suggested here, has also not solved it. Not sure why it is supposedly is an OS issue, when it is only affecting the only Adobe I use - After Effects (this has persisted over the last version, and the latest update from yesterday.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 19, 2022 Jul 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here.  I've opened multiple AE project files while being on Monterey 12.4, it's only 1 file that gives me this issue. Will get back if I find a solution but so far I can't get the file to work.

Screenshot 2022-07-19 at 14.53.37.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 19, 2022 Jul 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay it was very easy for me. Instead of double clicking on the .aep file from my desktop, from After Effects going to > file > open project... > 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 23, 2023 Dec 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I also have this problem. I installed the AfterCodecs rendering plug-in. After I uninstalled the plug-in, the problem disappeared. I was very angry.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines