• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

After Effects crashing GPU driver: Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding

New Here ,
Sep 13, 2022 Sep 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For at least the past 4 months After Effects causes my system to completely freeze for about 10 seconds, causing a driver crash. Event log shows "Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered".

Following this, I've tried:

• DDU uninstalling drivers and installing newest available
  • Rolling back to previous versions of AE
  • Installing AE onto seperate drives
  • Rolling back display drivers
  • Turning off hardware acceleration in AE
  • Tried both vanilla and beta AE
  • Using CMD as admin to check for errors: sfc scannow
  • Using MemTest

This is beginning to get infuriating as it's only AE that is causing this. The system is also used for real-time graphics (Notch) and gaming, of which there are no problems and are obviously highly GPU intensive.

I don't want to upgrade to WIN11 as that'll likely cause more issues.

System specs: 
  • Ryzen 3950X
  • 64gb 3500 ram
  • 2080ti

Any help would be highly appreciated!

TOPICS
Crash , Error or problem , Freeze or hang

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 14, 2022 Sep 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nick,

Welcome to the community and sorry for your issue.

Is there anything specific that triggers the issue? What happens after the driver recovers? Does it allow you to work in After Effects or do you have to restart it? Do you see any crash report? Also, are there any third-party plug-ins installed for After Effects? If so, could you share the names?

We're here to help, just need more info.

Thanks,

Nishu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 15, 2022 Sep 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Nishu,

It seems to be quite sporadic, but I haven't managed a full session in AE without this crash occuring. Sometimes it happens when I click the windows taskbar (to check emails, open web browser etc); the computer will freeze for roughly 10 seconds, black screen, then return back to normal - the AE preview window turns to white, and requires the program to be restarted in order for it to work. 

Other times it's as simple as just moving layers around, or clicking the shape tools. Basically it's random, and nothing in particular seems to actually trigger it.

I do have a few plugins installed, but the only ones I'm actually using at the time of the crash is motion 3, GridGuide, FX Console, BoomBox, and Animation Composer

Other plugins not being used at time of crash: 

• Stardust
  • AePixelSorter2
  • Signal
  • Blinky
  • AutoFill
  • Diopter
  • OCD Renamer
  • Swatcheroo
  • Thicc Stroke
  • FXAA
  • DeepGlow
  • Cartoon Moblur
  • AEInfographics 2
  • HandyCam
  • KeyFast
  • Flow

I'll add a crash report once the next one happens.

Cheers,

Nick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 15, 2022 Sep 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Nick,

Seems like it's the third-party plug-ins. Could you try removing them and see if that brings any change? Removing them one by one and testing After Effects would let you know which plug-in is the root cause. Another user I am working with on the same issue mentioned that Deep Glow is the culprit at their end. Hope that's helpful.

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks,

Nishu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines