• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

After Effects CS5.5 - Audio Problems (Spacebar, no green bar)

Community Beginner ,
Jun 19, 2022 Jun 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, this is my first time posting on the After Effects forum. I'm using the older AE CS5.5. Support is incredibly limited, I understand folks. However, for those of you who have this version or experience using it, perhaps you may know how to fix this particular issue?

In the timeline, my audio file (.m4a) is not rendering. I'm not seeing the green bar loading. When I hit the Spacebar, the Time Indicator will start to move, but there isn't any playback. From my understanding, the green bar represents the file being rendered in the RAM.

HARDWARE:

My machine hosts 32GB RAM and has an i7 Intel CPU with an NVIDIA Graphics Card. It's still pretty effective for most of the work I do. The Audio Hardware output is configured to some Bose Speakers for playback.

SETTINGS:

The Preview panel is visible. The sound isn't muted.

Saikex_0-1655668859733.png

Otherwise, I know the sound does work. If I press the "0" on the numpad, it will successfully playback sound. But if I hit the "0" to pause and then hit it again to play, it will always play back from where the Time Indicator was originally placed. I don't mind using it this way. It's just a little cumbersome.

Is there a way to configure AE CS5.5 to render Preview automatically without my input? That way I can just use the Spacebar again to Play and Pause at will without issue. I'd rather not have to use the "0" keystroke.

TOPICS
Audio , Error or problem , How to , Preview

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, the 0 key is the RAM preview option. Unfortunately in versions before 13.7, the only way to playback video in real-time with audio at the same time was with RAM previews. For some reason, people who used AE years ago didn't want to hear the audio at the same time while they were making their animation, so RAM previews helped them when they wanted to render the whole thing.

You can try to "hear" the audio by going to Edit > Preferences > Previews and uncheck "Mute Audio When Preview Is Not Real-time", but it will probably won't really work.

I don't know much about older versions since I've personally never used them..but I have heard stories like this one. So please let me know if this helps! 🙂

~Jake

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the heads up. Bummer, that's really inefficient. I also checked out your advice. From a quick Google search, the "Mute Audio When Preview Is Not Real-Time" setting seems to only be available from AE CC ver13.5 and later.

The only alternative I have found is that I can use the "0" to start the sequence, Spacebar to pause, and then hit "0" again to resume where it last left off. It's cumbersome, but it's better than nothing. Unless anyone knows if there's a way to reprogram the keystrokes (or change the way "0" behaves), then I'm afraid this will be the only way I can make AE CS5.5 work for what I need it to do.

Just to verify the audio design choice in AE CS5.5 is the issue, I imported a video file with sound. Hitting the Spacebar only plays the footage in AE CS5.5. But hitting the "0" plays the footage and sound. Yeah... that's just how AE CS5.5 works unfortunately.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh my bad, I didn't know CS5.5 doesn't have that option :P. But yeah that's one of the only reasons in my opinion why the newer versions are ahead of the older versions.

Not sure if you can do this with a version prior to 13.0, or if the RAM preview shortcut key is listed here, but the shortcut keys are located in:

Windows: C:\Users\[user_name]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\After Effects\10.5\Adobe After Effects 10.5 Win en_US.txt

Mac: /Users/[user_name]/Library/Preferences/Adobe/After Effects/10.5\Adobe After Effects 10.5 Win en_US.txt

~Jake

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(or change the way "0" behaves),

You can't and that is that. Pre CC 2014 AE didn't even have a shortcut editor and you had to dig into the actual shortcut file, but many keys and functions simply were hard-coded. Other than that everything else is behaving as it was designed to work way back then. Realtime playback via space bar was only introduced in CC 2015, anyway.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 20, 2022 Jun 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the help everyone.

I was able to do what I needed with alternating between the Spacebar and the "0" keystroke. It actually worked fine. Just had to develop new muscle memory.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jake

Don't want to leave you hanging. I went to check that path, but I think the one being described is only for the CC version of AE. It doesn't appear that way when I search. But not to worry! I'm able to do the specific tasks I need in CS5.5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yeah I checked and the RAM preview is not in that txt file. Glad you found a solution though! Mark your answer correct so if future people see this thread they know what's correct. 🙂

~Jake

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines