• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

After effects defaults to old project location

Community Beginner ,
Jul 29, 2021 Jul 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello community, hoping someone can help me with a small issue, but that has been driving me really crazy. After Effects always defaults any new file I create to an old project location. Both when I first click Save As, as when I try and render, it always goes to this obscure folder. I'm used to After Effects trying to create a new project in the C:\Users...Adobe\After Effects folder and then navigating over. But this hasn't been the behaviour for the last 6+ months. 

To exacerbate the issue, when I open a project from the Recents splash screen and then upres to a new version, I expect this new save to happen in the same folder I'm operating in, but instead of that, it goes to that one project folder. Same with rendering, when I queue something up, I expect it to want to render it next to where my file lives. Nope, each time it just wants to throw everything into that old folder. 

Is there any workaround to this? I don't seem to be able to find a setting for default saves. Just to be clear, this is not my Auto-Save, that I have set to go to the After Effects root folder. This is for my projects and renders. Even when queing through Media Encoder it insists on using that folder. By now I've upgraded AE and ME a few times, but the bahavior is still the same. 

Any help would be appreciated as this is truly not only driving me crazy, but also making me constantly have to look for projects and renders in the wrong place.

Thank you

TOPICS
How to , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 29, 2022 Nov 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, no worries. At least I solved my own problem 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Nov 29, 2022 Nov 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pretty great to watch a community of users come up with a solution for a known and frustrating bug, yet sadly revealing that after a year and a half not one Adobe employee deigned to chime in. If anything to at least acknowlege the issue and offer a future fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Mar 02, 2023 Mar 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm experiencing the same behaviour on Mac. For several versions of After effects and for a months, may be years.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 15, 2023 Mar 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Had this issue for a while now too.

Should probably move this into the Bugs section if you want anything done... even then, it would be a miracle if they actually listen and do anything about it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 12, 2023 Apr 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is driving me crazy as well. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 06, 2024 Mar 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found a simple solution. You need to rename the folder where After Effects wants to save the project. Then start AE and try to save the new project.
This will reset the save settings, after which you can return the folder you renamed to its original name.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 06, 2024 Mar 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! I will try that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 07, 2024 Mar 07, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Since we`re having this issue for three years now, maybe Adobe could just label it as a feature instead?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines