Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

after effects error can't import file .ffx unsupported file type or extension

Explorer ,
Jun 25, 2021 Jun 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Every time I try to import a text animation preset I get this error message 'after effects error can't import file .ffx unsupported file type or extension'.

When I try to import a preset file from AE, the presets don't show up in their folder (whilst the default 'all acceptable files' is selected). If I change from 'acceptable files' to 'all types of files' then the presets appear. However, when I select a preset to import, the 'importing selected items' box appears for a long time and then I get another error message saying 'an error occurred while importing this file. please try again.'

Could it be something to do with the presets being in the wrong folder? I have attached the path to the folder  Adobe says the presets should be and then the path to where my presets folder is on my PC (as the path Adobe provided doesn't exist on my computer for some reason. This is happening with any text preset I try to import.

I am using Windows 10 and the latest Adobe AE (V18.2.1)

I have tried to find fixes on the internet but nothing has worked so far.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Lynsey

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 25, 2021 Jun 25, 2021

You do not import FFX files, you use the animation menu to browse to them and apply them to layers. If you want to save animation presets they do not go in the program folder, they go in the Adobe Documents folder. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Those presets might be ones that only work in AE.

If they are third party presets, you need to install them for Premiere Pro, not copy them.

See here:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro/after-effects-presets-to-premiere-pro/m-p/8908853

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 28, 2021 Jun 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. Yes these are AE presets that I want to apply to a text layer in AE.

Lynsey

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You do not import FFX files, you use the animation menu to browse to them and apply them to layers. If you want to save animation presets they do not go in the program folder, they go in the Adobe Documents folder. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the info.

When I 'browse presets' none of the presets appear in the list. I have looked for the Adobe documents folder to copy them into there and see if that works but I can't find it unfortunately. 

Lynsey

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ignore my previous message I have found the documents folder and correct path and it works now! Thanks for your help.

Lynsey

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 28, 2022 Nov 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, where is this folder in mac? I didnt find

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 03, 2023 Oct 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm on a PC sorry.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it looks like these presets are damaged or maybe it's not for AE, are you sure these presets are working on any other devices? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I don't think the presets are damaged as some of them I have downloaded from Envato. I think I have them in the wrong folder and that's why AE can't see them.

Lynsey

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines