• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

After Effects Error: Keylight out of memory. (4) ( 25 :: 241)

Community Beginner ,
Dec 05, 2016 Dec 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there, this is very frustrating.  I don't know of this is because of the update to After Effects CC 2017 or what...

I have been working for a client on a series of 'How To' videos shot in front of a green screen for the past year.  The files are all h.264 (not 422, which I wish they were), they have all been shot exactly the same, and there is nothing different except that I now have updated to After Effects 2017.  I use Keylight for my green screen needs.

Every once in awhile (frequency is random) this error shows up: 'After Effects Error: Keylight out of memory. (4) ( 25 :: 241)'

Now, thankfully, it never crashes the program.  I hit 'okay'... and then move on, until it happens again.  Same thing: hit okay and move on.  No crash. 

It's so frequent now that I am now just used to hitting the space bar twice to move on and it's become a routine.  Unfortunately, it's hard to get into a flow because of it and cannot find any updated information on how to get it to go away.

Again, I'm thankful this is only an annoying inconvenience, and not a problem....but any advice would be wonderful.  Or is this just an AE CC 2017 bug?  Thank you!

My computer specs:

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013)

Processor : 2.6 Ghz Intel Core i7

Memory: 16GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Graphics : NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB

Footage is 1920 x 1080p 29.97 frames h.264

After Effects CC 2017

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 05, 2016 Dec 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go back to the previous version you were using.  Blow off using CC 2017.

The most charitable thing you can say about CC 2017 is that it's a work in progress. By using it, you basically become an unwitting member of the Adobe Unpaid Beta Tester Program.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 01, 2018 Jun 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe needs to get their poop in a group and fix this ish.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 06, 2016 Dec 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would suggest you file a bug report so that the AE team can be aware of the issue and fix it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 17, 2017 Jan 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi epac,

Are you still experiencing this issue? Have you filed a bug yet?

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 03, 2017 Apr 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kevin,

How can this be fixed? I am having the same problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Katia A,

Are you having this issue on all footage in all projects? If not, what is the specs of your system and media?

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 17, 2017 Apr 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has there been any progress on this? I keep getting the error too. Thanks!

Specs:

MacBook Pro (15-inch, Early 2011)

2.2 GHz Intel Core i7

8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1024 MB

Intel HD Graphics 3000 512 MB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello pls_help,

I wouldn't say you have very much RAM. What kind of footage are you working with?

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Kevin,

I did file that bug with Adobe like four months ago...but heard no response.

Actually, the plot thickens:  So, I have been running After Effects CC 2017 on my laptop which is:

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013)

Processor : 2.6 Ghz Intel Core i7

Memory: 16GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Graphics : NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB

Footage is 1920 x 1080p 29.97 frames h.264

Now, for the last four months I have been working on the same project and I have been dealing with the 'Keylight Out of Memory' error message.  I just accepted it and moved on thinking that I just need a better computer (and this machine is fast as hell and has performed beautifully).

WELL...I just bought a new 5K iMac desktop computer, completely maxed out:

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015)

4GHz Intel Core i7

32GB RAM

AMD Radeon R9 M395X 4GB

This machine is a beast!  I went to resume work on the same project I've been working on for 4 months...BOOM!

'After Effects Error: Keylight out of Memory.'  I hit okay.  Resume work.  BOOM!  Error message again.

This has got to be a bug, because I'm pretty sure my computer can handle a green screen key on h.264 footage.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Can you try some footage that is not H.264, like some intermediate codecs?

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 03, 2017 Mar 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got a "Keylight out of Memory" today. I'm working with 2K ProRes 4:4:4 footage.

I'm on an 8 core Mac Pro 5,1 with 64 GB RAM and my GPU is a TITAN X with 12 GB VRAM.

Using CC 2017 with OS X 10.12.3

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 22, 2017 Apr 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue using AfterEffects CC 2017.2 release, v14.2.0.198 on both a PC and Mac.

After Effects error: Keylight out of memory. (4) ( 25 :: 241 )

Dell laptop

• Windows 10 64 bit
  • Intel Core i7-7500U CPU @ 2.7GHz (2 cores/4 logical processors)
  • 16GB RAM and 750GB of free disk space

17" Apple MacBook Pro (late 2011)

• Mac OS X 10.11.2
  • 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7
  • 8GB RAM and 70GB free disk space.

The project is very small, a video from a Panasonic HD camera in MTS format, a virtual set in PNG, and a spotlight to add a little color to the subject on the green screen.

Any advice? I have a project that the client needs for an event midweek!

Thanks,

-Ryan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 22, 2017 Apr 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

trim just the parts you need to key out, and render the file in a lossless format. if it's 8-bit footage, QT Animation will do fine. import and try again with this file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 12, 2017 Oct 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue, somebody solved?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 07, 2017 Nov 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue.

MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2017) Sierra, 10.12.6

3.1 GHz Intel Core i7

16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3

Radeon Pro 560 4096 MB

Intel HD Graphics 630 1536 MB

I also try to use the AE Dynamic Link into Premiere, which was always great before. Now it's a big pile of poo. As is everything about AE and Premiere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 10, 2017 Dec 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bumping this. It's been a year... and a new major software update... No improvement. I'm having exactly the same issue.

System:

Win 10 Pro

CPU i7-6700K @ 4.00GHz

64 GB RAM

Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 8GB

I'm working on layering two keyed tracks of 4K footage from a Canon C300 mkII.

Like the original post... basically everything works. Except this incessant error message pops up constantly. Neither my system RAM or GPU memory is anywhere near maximum resource usage.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 11, 2018 Jan 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here.

Using 1080i DVCPro HD footage.

macOS High Sierra

Version 10.13.2

2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5

64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3

AMD FireProD700 6 GB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 09, 2018 May 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any updates? Having the same issue.

macOS High Sierra

Version 10.13.4

2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5

64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3

AMD FirePro D700 6144 MB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 27, 2018 May 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am simultaneously looking at my memory usage while AE is saying it is out of memory and it is barely barely effecting RAM in use.

This problem has been on the books for over a year and a half and the only solution presented assumes user error, trust me, my computer is good enough to handle the workload.

HEY DEVELOPERS! here's what you need to know

From image sequences to video, from lossy to lossless, on machines that are subpar to superior, your paid users are experiencing a problem that is not their error, but a programming error. It involves keylight 1.2, your long overdue for an update plugin, claims there is a lack of memory when there is not.

Let's work together. You do your job, so I can do mine. Thanks!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 31, 2018 May 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

real talk. Fortnite (a FREE game) has faster update turnarounds and more reliability on a 100-users per map environment while Premiere (a VERY expensive software bundle) has been struggling with SIMPLE bugs for YEARS. amazing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 04, 2018 Jun 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi AttilaGBalazs,

If you would like to address the developers, go here: After Effects: Hot (447 ideas) – Adobe video & audio apps

This forum is largely for solving troubleshooting issues.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 01, 2018 Jun 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same issue on a fully updated AE CC, running on a 2017 iMac with 64gb of ram. Fix this nonsense!

My footage is .mxf, 59.94fps, 1920x1080.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 10, 2018 Jun 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same problem... Any solution yet? 😕

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 22, 2018 Jun 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here on a brand-new HP Z640 with 32 GB RAM and Nvidia Quadro k5000, AE versions from 2015 to 2017.

Adobe, do something with this bug, plz.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines