• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

After Effects Error: Keylight out of memory. (4) ( 25 :: 241)

Community Beginner ,
Dec 05, 2016 Dec 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there, this is very frustrating.  I don't know of this is because of the update to After Effects CC 2017 or what...

I have been working for a client on a series of 'How To' videos shot in front of a green screen for the past year.  The files are all h.264 (not 422, which I wish they were), they have all been shot exactly the same, and there is nothing different except that I now have updated to After Effects 2017.  I use Keylight for my green screen needs.

Every once in awhile (frequency is random) this error shows up: 'After Effects Error: Keylight out of memory. (4) ( 25 :: 241)'

Now, thankfully, it never crashes the program.  I hit 'okay'... and then move on, until it happens again.  Same thing: hit okay and move on.  No crash. 

It's so frequent now that I am now just used to hitting the space bar twice to move on and it's become a routine.  Unfortunately, it's hard to get into a flow because of it and cannot find any updated information on how to get it to go away.

Again, I'm thankful this is only an annoying inconvenience, and not a problem....but any advice would be wonderful.  Or is this just an AE CC 2017 bug?  Thank you!

My computer specs:

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013)

Processor : 2.6 Ghz Intel Core i7

Memory: 16GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Graphics : NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB

Footage is 1920 x 1080p 29.97 frames h.264

After Effects CC 2017

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 02, 2019 Apr 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(Read all to understand the causes and troubleshooting steps)

I had After Effects CC 2019 throw all popular errors on me:

- out of memory

- display acceleration disabled

- unspecified drawing error

- keylight out of memory

After trying all solution proposals I could find, like...

- reinstalling the software

- changing and clearing the cache

- changing settings (mercury transmit, skipping frames, hardware acceleration, cpu/gpu rendering etc.)

- resetting settings (ctrl+alt+shift while launching the app)

...the errors were still there.

The last thing I didn't try was to disable all startup/tray-running apps. And guess what? AE started to work stable again!Then I wanted to pin-point which of the startup apps was responsible for the "damage", so I disabled them one by one and checked how AE behaved. And guess what? Errors came back! So none of the startup apps was to blame.

This time I've decided to check systems Event Viewer for more clues...

Every time AE crashed, the event viewer issued a warning "Resource-Exhaustion-Detector" with details like "Windows successfully diagnosed a low virtual memory condition. The following programs consumed the most virtual memory: ..."
This kind of error usually reflects a paging file problem. This moment I also realized I've turned off my paging files completely once I bought 32GB of RAM assuming it wont be needed anymore with this amount of memory on board.

Re-enabling "automatic managing of paging file for all drives" in system settings brought stability and performance back to AE and it didn't throw me any of above mentioned errors again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 19, 2022 May 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, I found the solution, is because of the frame rate, try to mach the the frame rate of your composition with the same of your source video. If the video was recorded to 25fps, change your comp to the same frame rate 25fps. This stop the error. One extra option is render the video with the frame rate that you would like to work and then import it to aply the keylight effect. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 27, 2022 Dec 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes, it's working!!! you are a lifesaver

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 11, 2023 Mar 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

THIS! Oh my gosh. I did not realize that was causing the slow down. I had everything set to the lowest setting, and it still was lagging. I changed the FPS (which defaulted to 59.94) to 60 and voila! It ran without error. Thanks again.

SPECS:

- AMD 5700X 3.4 GHz

- 2x 16 GB CL16 DDR4 RAM 3200 MHz

- GeForce RTX 3080 GAMING Z TRIO 12 GB

- MSI 570X Tomahawk

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 27, 2022 Dec 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just set the same frame rate for your composition and source video.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 29, 2023 Jan 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Didn't work for me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 30, 2023 Jan 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well in this case the problem is the ram inself, other thing that may help is: Check in the composition setting the Start TimeCode, it always should be 0:00:00:00, sometimes that value it is too high, causing the bug also.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines